banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you have a non-locking floating tremolo with no routing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you have a non-locking floating tremolo with no routing?

The short answer is... yes!

A while back I purchased a Vegatrem VT1 Ultra Trem, which is a pretty complex name given it's the only product that Vegatren sells. The idea behind the VT1 is that they wanted to design a floating tremolo with the most possible range and the least possible friction. But the kicker is that they wanted the whole thing to fit into a standard Strat synchronized tremolo route.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190926_225634.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	5852858

When I was first looking at this thing, I thought it would use a three part design similar to the Bladerunner, with the mounting section, the blade, and the bridge itself being three separate units, but rather it only has two parts consisting of the mounting section and the bridge itself. The bridge pivots off of two half inch blade-like portions.

When I installed it I was pretty surprised at how well it worked. It doesn't quite have the range of a Floyd, but you can pull the low E up about one and 3/4 of a step and it will dive almost to the point where the strings stop sounding out. One thing that stood out was how smooth it is. Usually with this much range on a tremolo it becomes really tough to do subtle chord bends because they sound too abrupt and mechanical, but you can get almost Bigsby like vibrato with little trouble. I also noticed that there is a pretty consistent amount of pressure that has to be exerted the further you push or pull it. It has a thick screw-in bar with absolutely no play in it at all, but it's in a bit of a weird place, and while usually I always have the bar in when playing, regardless of whether or not I think I'll use it, I have to take this one off as it gets in the way.

It stays in tune like a champ too. This bridge in tandem with locking tuners and a lubed nut will stay in tune as well as any Floyd will.

It's a good unit, but is it $260 good? I don't quite think so. For that money you also get 3 sets of various strength springs, the trem itself, two allen wrenches, and a nifty decal. Granted the prices are going to be pretty high as the VT1 is Vegatrems first model, but if they continue to sell products and word gets around, I think if they get the price down to the $160 range or lower, this would be an excellent bargain.

*Just a side note about this unit, my previous Callaham bridge I had on my Strat was all about mass and surface area, the VT1 was just the opposite. It's a tiny unit and all energy transfer from the bridge to the body is through about an inch of knife edge, and yet there was almost no effect on sustain and a much smaller change to the tone than I was expecting.

Here's some Callaham/Vegatrem side by side pictures:

Name:	20190926_185957.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	5852859

Name:	20190926_185940.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	5852861

Name:	20190926_185946.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	5852860
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Can you have a non-locking floating tremolo with no routing?

Name:	Screenshot_20190929-144550_Chrome.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	5817167
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Doesn't Floyd Rose have a whammy for Les Pauls that requires no routing?
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Stets bar, I believe. Meh. Khalers are for Les Pauls.

I will say, I had a Wilkinson and Locking Sperzels on a Yamaha, and you could VH all day with that....
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Stetsbar was what first came to mind
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Doesn't Floyd Rose have a whammy for Les Pauls that requires no routing?
            Yeah, I think it's called FRX or something. But for a Strat, the VT1 is your best option if cost isn't an issue. It's basically a smoother Floyd Rose that you can palm mute without worrying about making the notes sharp.

Comment

I dig this idea, even if it is expensive. I like better mousetraps, and further refinement of this idea. I look forward to a lower price at some point and it will be my next trem.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I was curious about this trem when I first saw it. I felt that it was still a little too expensive to be a success. Great to hear that it works well. Hopefully they'll be able to get to a point where it's successful enough that they can drop prices a bit.
                http://www.lonephantom.com
                http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Meh. Get a Floyd, I'd say – it is simply a better contraption.

Comment

Just warp the neck
                    It wont break trust me
                    I'm an internet person
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Is the fact that the top of it doesn't quite cover the route part of how it works? I don't know if I like seeing the hole there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Is the fact that the top of it doesn't quite cover the route part of how it works? I don't know if I like seeing the hole there.
                        I would imagine that's like how a recessed Floyd Rose works. You need space behind and under the baseplate to allow proper pull-up.
                        http://www.lonephantom.com
                        http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Yup, that's exactly how it works.

Comment

You swapped out a finely crafted, cold-rolled steel Callaham bridge (awesome tone included) for that thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                              Yup, that's exactly how it works.
                              Ahh, so it uses that space for further travel, I guess. I think the vibrato (overall) is due for another revolution in design. We are still sticking with principals from 70 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X