banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refinish a veneer squire, or replace the body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinish a veneer squire, or replace the body?

Hello all,

I'm doing a color change, upgraded hardware and SSS conversion on a squier contemporary strat.

I've just found that the poplar body has a thin veneer (possibly alder) on the front and back. The guitar is getting a solid finish (transparent red lacquer over metallic silver), so I don't care about the look of the grain - but is this veneer likely to cause me any other issues when refinishing?

My options are to keep going with the squier body (I'm happy with the weight, feel, and neck fit) or buy a warmoth/uscg unfinished alder body in the $150 range and finish that instead.

Any guidance would be much appreciated - I've never refinished a veneered body before so not sure what to expect.

Re: Refinish a veneer squire, or replace the body?

The veneer isn't going to cause any problems but the existing finish might. There may be nothing wrong with the body except the color, in which case you may want to just refinish it. I've done that with several guitars. But to do a good job you need to totally strip off the existing "paint". A lot of work, but it will save you $150 and give you fine results in the end. For me, it would be much easier to start with the bare-wood body though.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thank you,

I have an identical 'spare' body with damage which I'm using as a test bed. So far I've found that a heat gun and scraper causes the veneer to de-laminate from the body in places. Would you recommend I sand it instead? I've seen some people talk about chemical strippers though I'm not sure if getting the body that 'wet' would cause issues with the veneer glue?

appreciate the advice, thanks again!

Comment

Could always give the chem strippers a test run on your test body, if the veneer starts to raise then go with sanding. Get a palm sander if you dont have one. Ive used chemical strippers on a guitar one and that still took some work.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Great idea! Thanks.

Comment

Start with Citri-Strip. It works pretty well, and doesn't smell bad.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I haven't seen a stripper that loosens a veneer.

Don't use it on the other body, use it on this one that you want to refinish. No matter what the stripper does, you've got to sand it anyway so go for it.

Comment

I used a chemical stripper on my project
                Followed by some light sanding

If the veneer comes off is not the end of the world
                Its very thin material
                Only about a one sixteenth of an inch
                Or one millimeter

Wont affect tone or weight at all

When you get everything off you may want some filler to cover any dings and stuff
                Don't use super glue to fill
                It wont take paint
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

What are you refinishing it with? If the original finish is one of the high-tech polyester or similar, they can often act as a good basis for new paint. If the body is already level and smooth, and you're painting it an opaque color, it might be the best and easiest route.

Larry

Comment

Don't use super glue to fill It wont take paint
                    Yes, it will..... But you have to sweet talk it a bit.

Comment

Why not just use sanding mouse? Quick and easy, just be careful and use fine paper.

I would never use chem strippers on wood.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I would never use chem strippers on wood.
                        WTH not?

Comment

They are made for wood

I think you should just ruff it up and spray it

Should relic out nicely later on
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The veneer won't affect your refinish.

I wouldn't bother stripping the guitar first. Not worth the effort, and the stock finish will actually make an excellent sealer coat for whatever solid color you want to put over it. Just sand it up first so the overcoats can make good mechanical adhesion to it.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Look, it all depends on what YOU want to end up with and you have one of three choices:
                              1. If you want the best, longest lasting finish with the least amount of work use the Warmoth unfinished body,
                              2. If you want to save money (but invest a lot of time and effort) and end up with a great long lasting finish strip and sand the Squire down to bare wood then finish it,
                              3. If you want so save money AND save time and work and don't care about the finish easily chipping off, OR if you want to end up with a relic finish, just lightly sand the Squire and paint over top of the existing finish.

You see, no matter what anyone has said, NO finishing material (lacquer, polyester urethane, enamel) will stick very well to the existing finish on the Squire.

Your choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X