Awww, snap!!! PSK SG Junior Repair Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awww, snap!!! PSK SG Junior Repair Ahead

Looks like I have some repair work to do on the SG Jr. (this is not a Gibson but a Precision Guitar Kits SG Jr.). It was in the case and fell forward landing square solid on its top. I was vacuuming and accidentally touched it with my elbow just enough to make it go. My heart sank thinking it snapped. Thankfully, it’s a clean break. A syringe with some thin wood glue and a clamp will do the trick. And I had just gotten it dialed in with a new bridge.

The gap was larger before I put slack in the strings. That was the first thing I did after looking at it for a about 10 seconds. I didn't want the string tension to pull it any more. It'll get fixed. I have some Titebond wood glue here and some syringes to get the glue in there good. I'll have to remove the low and high E tuners at least for solid clamping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4252.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	5852950 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4253.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	5852951
    Last edited by ErikH; 10-14-2019, 08:09 PM.

Re: Awww, snap!!! PSK SG Junior Repair Ahead

Without putting a lot of tension on the joint to open up the split, you're not going to get enough penetration of the Titebond into it to get a strong repair.

Also, I would get another case or modify the one you have. That should not happen just by tipping over.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Did you do the finish yourself?

I would think about splitting the peghead to brush the titebond on both sides, clamp, refinish the area.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        Without putting a lot of tension on the joint to open up the split, you're not going to get enough penetration of the Titebond into it to get a strong repair.

Also, I would get another case or modify the one you have. That should not happen just by tipping over.
        Yeah, I need to put something together to put enough tension to open it up. Like I said, it was open a lot more when the strings were tuned up to standard tuning. I might be able to utilize 4 of the 6 strings to get enough tension and then loosen them when the glue is in all the way.

As for the case, it's an Epiphone SG hard shell and the fit is real snug. I may get another one down the road. But I agree, it shouldn't have happened.

Originally posted by The_Junior View Post
        Did you do the finish yourself?

I would think about splitting the peghead to brush the titebond on both sides, clamp, refinish the area.
        Yes, I finished it myself. Already prepared to do a coat or two over the repair.

Comment

Carefully raise the tension of the strings to open the crack enough. You can control it easily. Looks like an easy fix, by the way. You might not even have to do a finish touch-up unless you really want to.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Carefully raise the tension of the strings to open the crack enough. You can control it easily. Looks like an easy fix, by the way. You might not even have to do a finish touch-up unless you really want to.
            With the break as clean as it is, it won't be difficult. I'll probably do the repair this weekend. If I have to paint, I have some to do it and the temp outside will be just right to lay down a light coat (I don't have a booth so the back yard it is).

Comment

Keep us in the loop.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I have what I need to do the repair, now it's a matter of time to do it. Have had busy weekends the last few weeks and this coming weekend doesn't look much better, unless we find something quickly. We're going car hunting. 16 yo was in an accident last week and her car is totaled. She's OK, thank God.

Comment

Welcome to the world of teenage drivers. Been there, done that. Glad I'm done with that!

I'm so glad to hear that she is ok. Sorry about your loss. We can only pray that she has learned to be super cautious and careful when driving, and that there will be no more accidents.

Get back to us with the results once you've had time to make the repair on the SG.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah, no kidding. She's a good driver overall. She was turning left in to our neighborhood in a gap between cars backed up in the left lane and a pickup in the right lane got her. He had time to stop too but since he had right of way, her fault. Oye! She's being very cautious now, as expected.

Comment

Wow, everything about that damage seems ideal. Pretty lucky.

This is one of the myriad reasons I prefer a nice bag. The padding will absorb the impact that a hard case with hard foam transfers to the contents.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Update:

I finally had some time to work on this. The break turned out to be really shallow so when I tried to open it more, I could hear some more cracking. I had to strap the guitar down on the bench so I could get it open some more and in the process, EL SNAPO!!!!, the whole headstock popped off straight up the same break. Well, after some choice words and quick cleanup of the clue I was trying to get in the original break, I looked at the bright side, now I can get the glue everywhere no problem. Oye!!! There's a small piece off the front that will have to be put back in once this all dries and I can remove the clamps. It will require some sanding and repainting when all is said and done but it will be good to go in the end.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 11-09-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Update 2:

Initial glue joints looks good. I was able to get the small piece that came off during the final break in place and it is clamped up right now. There are a couple of very small spots around the D string tuner that could use a little would filler (too small to make it worth whipping up some epoxy). They'll be covered by the tuning machine washer but I still want them filled. After that will be sanding and repaint of the back and face. Painting will have to wait until next weekend most likely since it's going to be a chilly week here. Doubt the wife will be happy with me spraying paint in the house.
                          Last edited by ErikH; 11-11-2019, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Update 3:

All is well. Repaint is drying. I laid the first coat down too wet so had some runs to sand back before the second coat. Got 2 coats of white done and after that dried I laid down a couple coats of black on the face of the headstock. It'll sit until tomorrow and then final sanding, putting the nut back on and tuners. I'll have some pics later.
                            Last edited by ErikH; 11-16-2019, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Counting my blessings. A couple months ago i had 2 guitars in cases fall in domino fashion. The one hit hard. Thankfully i was luckier than you and there was no break

Comment

Working...
                              X