Stratocaster or Ibanez AZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratocaster or Ibanez AZ?

Hi guys, looking for some guitar buying advice.

I will be going into a store to hopefully try these guitars out in a couple of days but looking for some more experienced knowledge.

I'm stuck between mainly a Fender American Stratocaster Professional or Elite and an Ibanez AZ2204 ICM (The HSS one).

I play mainly funk, RnB and fusion. Have been playing an HSS Yamaha Pacifica almost exclusively for about 11 years. I love the 4th position on single coils the most and hunt for that dry, warm tone it has.

Anybody experienced the AZ guitars and the hyperion pickups? Or compared the two guitars? Or any other experience or tips at all relating to these? Maybe even a similar guitar you could recommend within that similar budget?

Thank you!

Re: Stratocaster or Ibanez AZ?

The Ibanez prestige guitars are lovely to play and sound really nice. Upper fret access is leaps and bounds beyond what Fender does.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

All the pickups in the nicer Ibanez guitars are made by DiMarzio. Even if it doesn’t say so. Same with Ernie Ball.

Try them both out. I like Ibanez necks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you absolutely need all the vintage style features for some reason, go for the Fender.
        Otherwise I see no reason not to try more contemporary alternatives like the AZ.

I'd consider a G&L as well since they also have some improvements over Fenders IMO, like flatter radius and improved trem systems.
        Last edited by Diego; 10-16-2019, 07:00 PM.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

G&L's are just so heavy
          Solid guitars no doubt
          Just heavy
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            All the pickups in the nicer Ibanez guitars are made by DiMarzio. Even if it doesn’t say so. Same with Ernie Ball.

Try them both out. I like Ibanez necks.

The AZ series uses Duncans. Both the prestige and premium lines of that series do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            -Greg

Guitars:
            2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
            2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
            2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
            Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Okok it seems that the only real advantage to the strat is the vintageness then?
              @DavidRavenMoon, the prestige Ibanez AZ guitars have Seymore Duncan Hyperion pickups.

Was hoping someone who had tried these out could give me an opinion? Are they cheapy or quite solid pickups?

Anyone who has tried the the AZ series out?

Thanks for the replies, all very useful!

Comment

I have a Prestige HSS AZ and a Fender Elite strat.

I'm selling the AZ. In theory fret access should be good, but the round heel hits my hand every time I play up the neck. The neck is also fat. I hate the pickups - the single coils sound overwound and the humbucker underwound.

That said, the guitar is well made.

No issues with the Elite - perfectly made. The N4 pickups are a love/hate thing but that's it.

Definitely try the guitars out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
                  I have a Prestige HSS AZ and a Fender Elite strat.

I'm selling the AZ. In theory fret access should be good, but the round heel hits my hand every time I play up the neck. The neck is also fat. I hate the pickups - the single coils sound overwound and the humbucker underwound.

That said, the guitar is well made.

No issues with the Elite - perfectly made. The N4 pickups are a love/hate thing but that's it.

Definitely try the guitars out.
                  Ah that's very useful advice! I've heard the AZ has sort of sparklier single coils compared to the strat is this true?

Also, started considering G&L legacy, MusicMan cutlass and MusicMan Luke III.

Any opinions on these other guitars?

Comment

I'd play the Music Mans first. I am biased, because MM is my favorite brand, but some people don't get along with their quirks- physically smaller, with smaller necks than most Fenders.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Jeez - I’m a huge G&L fan but MusicMan guitars always blow me away; it’d be case-by-case, but G&Ls tend to enter the used market more affordable in particular for most models.

One thing - I know G&L uses PLEK on their US models, but I’m not sure if EBMM does at present. Regardless both companies do a great setup out of the box on their US guitars (MM also does a great job setting up their imports, whereas I think G&L barely sets up their Tribute line - not that we’re talking about those.)
                      Originally posted by King Buzzo
                      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I love the way the AZ looks but a used G&L should be a contender. Get one with an empress body if you want lighter weight. I’m not fond of the pickups in the Fender elite.

I habitually buy G&L when I see a killer deal on one. I’ve only kept one but none of them were bad.

Comment

Tried out lots of strats, G&Ls and PRSs, unfortunately they didnt have any cutlass's available and they were slightly out of my price point anyway. Ended up going for the AZ. Has a beautiful sound, i love the higher output it has, can really dig into the strings and get wonderful tones. The 4th position is as glassy and funky as I love it to be and the humbucker SCREAMS! (Not enough for metal but i dont play any metal so thats ok for me).

Thanks for the advice guys!!

Comment

Did you get the one with the roasted maple neck and fretboard?

Pics or it didn't happen
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Wonderful, man. I've never played an AZ but they seem right up my alley.
                              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                              X