• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xeromus
    replied
    Re: How many guitars do you own?

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post
    I own four guitars. I've owned many guitars, but five is the most I have owned at one point in time. Maybe I should buy one so I can take part in the poll.
    Yeah I totally messed that up and couldn't edit it after the fact.

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    replied

No matter how many I have, it's always one less than I should.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

Jeebus,...
    Are you saying that I might actually be a musician?!

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• eclecticsynergy
    replied

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Bonding with a guitar is not a requirement. But a skilled/experienced musician can find sufficient bond with an instrument to record or perform within very short order anyway.
    I agree here. Have turned in perfectly good performances on guitars I'd never even seen before. There is a lot to be said for bonding though. Sometimes a certain guitar can bring out the best in you as a player and familiarity can help you get the best from an instrument.

I have a special synergy with a handful: certainly my top 3 PRSi, plus a couple of favorite Les Pauls, one very special vintage Strat, a McNaught, my venerable warbird of a Floydcaster, and the Jazz Bass I've been using since the 70s. Those are lifetime guitars, even though I haven't passed the hundred-gig milestone with all of them. Might not even have broken the hundred-hour mark yet with the McNaught. Still, sometimes you bond pretty quickly. For many of my favorites I've known within minutes.

The rest I like - some for tone, some for feel - but could part with if necessary.
    Except maybe the Moderne; it's just too weird not to love, and I've got a thing for lively korina guitars.

I have a hard time letting them go by choice because even without that special magic, I get attached.
    Whenever I've sold one, I've almost always missed it afterwards.

Like beaubrummels, I keep a select few close at hand. And I haven't sold off any guitar that's held the #1 spot.
    Not since the Eighties, at least.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I've always been confused by the huge numbers. Is it purely a collecting thing? When you get up past 50 guitars, assuming you play a different guitar each day you're only using each guitar seven times a year. How do you develop a bond with an instrument like that?
    Bonding with a guitar is not a requirement. But a skilled/experienced musician can find sufficient bond with an instrument to record or perform within very short order anyway.

I have many tools in my tool bags out in storage. I don’t romanticize or bond with all of them, but I definitely needed them for a job and it would be too expensive to buy them again next time I have a similar job. Many of the guitars are the same way. The few I’ve “bonded with” or that I find myself using most frequently stay nearby in the house. A number of guitars have rotated in and out of that “frequently used” slot over the years, depending on the era and style of music I find myself playing and getting opportunities to play. Because they have all enjoyed the #1 spot at some point, they stay in the stable.

Leave a comment:

• Obsessive Compulsive
    replied

I've always been confused by the huge numbers. Is it purely a collecting thing? When you get up past 50 guitars, assuming you play a different guitar each day you're only using each guitar seven times a year. How do you develop a bond with an instrument like that?
    Yes, pure collecting thing. People in general are materialistic. You don't need to have a purpose for everything in your possession. That's why rich guys keep investing, aiming for more wealth.

And guess what? Consumption keeps the economy growing.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied

My wife challenged me on my count.

It turns out I have 13 guitars in my possession, not the "5-10" I originally voted, with another arriving on Tuesday

Clearly I am an addict, LOL! Granted, it wasn't my intention to end up with a few of them. I have a Squier Mini my niece grew out of, for instance, and my sister was going to throw it away, so I snagged it. My dad bought a Les Paul Ultra with busted electronics that he thought he'd fix up and learn to play, but he's too lazy to do either, so I bought it from him to bring back to life. Also, a couple guitars were bought with the specific intention of fixing them up and reselling, so I don't consider the majority of what I have to be "keepers".

But, the wife is always right!

P.S.- My plan is to narrow my collection down to three 6-strings, one 7-string, and one acoustic. So, 5 total in the end. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by Masta' C; 10-26-2019, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ayrton
    replied

One or two

Leave a comment:

• muttznmongrelz
    replied

Currently; 9 electrics and 1 acoustic. The most recently assembled below...

Leave a comment:

• BTMN
    replied

I like "Explorer" guitars so quite a number of my guitars are that shape. With as many as I have there are a fair amount that are in various stages of playability let's say. I have a few that to sell I would regret selling for the cool what it is. Plus selling price versus what I might really get hurts too. I have the space so why not keep it for that every now and then dig it out moment. I keep the really good ones and ones that I have "bonded with" out and play them as much as time and will lets me. Certain ones do feel better and are easier to manipulate to get "that sound" you want from them so they will always get first grab. Other times I just use the Rick Neilsen approach and play one song be it once or a half hour on one guitar and then switch guitars for another tune. I am also a big fan of Double cut LP style guitars too. So while switching takes a moment changing to the next guitar is not all that hard to adjust. They are usually the same kind of frets and fretboards along with same scale. Then again I am only a living room noodler so YMMV.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied

Good question.

I guess you don't develop a bond with every one of them. At least not equally. But I do have bonds with all of them and strong bonds with 80% of them. They're all different so it's not redundant. Not like having 50 LPs, or 50 Strats. That would definitely be a collector sort of thing...no way to bond to all of them that are so similar. You'd certainly have just a few favorites.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied

Well, I own over 50 and it's not quite enough to satisfy my GAS.

70 or 80 might be a good number.

On second thought, I guess 90-100 would be a better number.

Leave a comment:

• Simon_F
    replied

7 giggable electrics
    1 acoustic
    1 bass
    2 sort-of-playable electrics that never leave the house (includes my first-ever guitar)

There is some duplication (i.e. 2 LPs, 2 Teles) but those are my faves so I have to live with it

Leave a comment:

• sonicexplorer
    replied

Total 22. Three acoustics and 19 electrics. Only 1 acoustic needs work. Everything else gets played depending on how fresh strings are and what sound I want

Leave a comment:

Working...
X