Re: How many guitars do you own?

One or two
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

My wife challenged me on my count.

It turns out I have 13 guitars in my possession, not the "5-10" I originally voted, with another arriving on Tuesday

Clearly I am an addict, LOL! Granted, it wasn't my intention to end up with a few of them. I have a Squier Mini my niece grew out of, for instance, and my sister was going to throw it away, so I snagged it. My dad bought a Les Paul Ultra with busted electronics that he thought he'd fix up and learn to play, but he's too lazy to do either, so I bought it from him to bring back to life. Also, a couple guitars were bought with the specific intention of fixing them up and reselling, so I don't consider the majority of what I have to be "keepers".

But, the wife is always right!

P.S.- My plan is to narrow my collection down to three 6-strings, one 7-string, and one acoustic. So, 5 total in the end. Wish me luck!
      Last edited by Masta' C; 10-26-2019, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        I've always been confused by the huge numbers. Is it purely a collecting thing? When you get up past 50 guitars, assuming you play a different guitar each day you're only using each guitar seven times a year. How do you develop a bond with an instrument like that?
        Yes, pure collecting thing. People in general are materialistic. You don't need to have a purpose for everything in your possession. That's why rich guys keep investing, aiming for more wealth.

And guess what? Consumption keeps the economy growing.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          I've always been confused by the huge numbers. Is it purely a collecting thing? When you get up past 50 guitars, assuming you play a different guitar each day you're only using each guitar seven times a year. How do you develop a bond with an instrument like that?
          Bonding with a guitar is not a requirement. But a skilled/experienced musician can find sufficient bond with an instrument to record or perform within very short order anyway.

I have many tools in my tool bags out in storage. I don’t romanticize or bond with all of them, but I definitely needed them for a job and it would be too expensive to buy them again next time I have a similar job. Many of the guitars are the same way. The few I’ve “bonded with” or that I find myself using most frequently stay nearby in the house. A number of guitars have rotated in and out of that “frequently used” slot over the years, depending on the era and style of music I find myself playing and getting opportunities to play. Because they have all enjoyed the #1 spot at some point, they stay in the stable.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            Bonding with a guitar is not a requirement. But a skilled/experienced musician can find sufficient bond with an instrument to record or perform within very short order anyway.
            I agree here. Have turned in perfectly good performances on guitars I'd never even seen before. There is a lot to be said for bonding though. Sometimes a certain guitar can bring out the best in you as a player and familiarity can help you get the best from an instrument.

I have a special synergy with a handful: certainly my top 3 PRSi, plus a couple of favorite Les Pauls, one very special vintage Strat, a McNaught, my venerable warbird of a Floydcaster, and the Jazz Bass I've been using since the 70s. Those are lifetime guitars, even though I haven't passed the hundred-gig milestone with all of them. Might not even have broken the hundred-hour mark yet with the McNaught. Still, sometimes you bond pretty quickly. For many of my favorites I've known within minutes.

The rest I like - some for tone, some for feel - but could part with if necessary.
            Except maybe the Moderne; it's just too weird not to love, and I've got a thing for lively korina guitars.

I have a hard time letting them go by choice because even without that special magic, I get attached.
            Whenever I've sold one, I've almost always missed it afterwards.

Like beaubrummels, I keep a select few close at hand. And I haven't sold off any guitar that's held the #1 spot.
            Not since the Eighties, at least.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Jeebus,...
              Are you saying that I might actually be a musician?!

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

No matter how many I have, it's always one less than I should.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post
                  I own four guitars. I've owned many guitars, but five is the most I have owned at one point in time. Maybe I should buy one so I can take part in the poll.
                  Yeah I totally messed that up and couldn't edit it after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Jeebus,...
                    Are you saying that I might actually be a musician?!

Take it easy Demanic, let's not get carried away

We are all dudes picking on guitars and maybe guitarists...
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Phew.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Phew.

Gotta be frugal throwing out the "M" word....
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have about 20+ guitars, including 3 basses and one acoustic. About 8-10 of the electrics get the majority of playing time. I should sell some, but somehow I never get around to it.
                          "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

I sold, traded or gave the ones I don’t bond with.
                            So I’m only left with guitars I love and play Which I think number 10 guitars, 2 acoustics, a flamenco guitar, a square neck dobro, 2 lap steels and a bass.

I’d say 8 doesn’t sound enough !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus View Post
                              Yeah I totally messed that up and couldn't edit it after the fact.
                              No worries. I will buy just one more.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post
                                No worries. I will buy just one more.
                                Famous last words…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by The Commodores?
                                "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Working...
                                X