banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a .042 on the bottom but keeping a .010 on top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a .042 on the bottom but keeping a .010 on top?

I've mostly used a straight .010 - .046 gauge all my life but the problem I continue to have is when I try to pick extremely fast as in shred-style I occasionally get stuck on the low E string on the upstroke since it is so thick. I am considering switching to a .042 set on the bottom while retaining the .010 set on the top.

Is there anyone else that has come across a similar problem?

Re: Using a .042 on the bottom but keeping a .010 on top?

I’d recommend focusing on your picking technique. You’re probably digging in too hard for that speed.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've lightened it up a lot already.

Comment

If you’re catching too much string on the upstroke, you’re using too much pick. Lots of shredders use super light strings, but I think focusing on the technique will help a lot more.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Yeah technique
          Not equipment
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I would recommend getting ahold of a Stylus Pick. It’s a pick with a pointy cylindrical tip for practicing using just the tip (that’s what she said) of the pick. I had one years ago, think it came with a How to Shred book.

Comment

Well, it is super cheap to try a smaller string...see if it works and you like the feel/tone of it.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My Gibson came with a hybrid set of heavy bottom/light top
                Low three were a 46 set, top three was from a 9 set

I have a bullet set with 38 to 10

EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Try it! Strings are cheap and you have nothing to lose.

Comment

I might make a fool of myself again (as per usual with my pre-breakfast/7a.m. posts), but I'd also try a heavier/higher tension set. I religiously used 9-46 sets all my life, but some time ago a string broke on one of my guitars and I didn't have any at home, but I did not want to leave the guitar without strings for days, so off I went to the nearest music store that was still open on a Friday night. They had nothing I liked in 9-46, so I left with a set of regular 10s (10-46). Strung the guitar up and what I noticed was that my playing on the unwound strings got cleaner and more articulate. I attribute this to the higher tension, as I cannot "push around" the strings when picking, but instead pick through the string immediately as it exerts more resistance.

Also, getting a good grip on the pick helps. I use fairly rigid and pointy picks (1,5 mm Tortex Sharp) and I instantly notice when my right hands gets sloppy: the pick is moving around between my fingers and the notes become mushy, my lines "stutter" as notes are not picked properly and the slightly wobbling pick and my hand movements get kinda "out of phase".

Comment

For me, a thinner more flexible pick solves the OP problem.

Comment

im not sure if a thinner string with less tension will help. i prefer heavier strings partly because the tension seems to snap the strings back into place quicker

Comment

I don’t see anything wrong with trying different string gauges as long as you’re not too far off the gauge at which the guitar was setup. Intonation issues may appear otherwise. Also, have a look at Paul Gilbert’s videos. In one of them he talks about good tone and technique (to him, anyway) and he discusses the subject of bass strings and picking. You may find it informative.

Comment

Working...
                          X