Musikraft Neck Profile Choice Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musikraft Neck Profile Choice Help

Hello - looking for a bit of assistance with choosing a neck profile from musikraft.

I'm finding that there are necks that I like on a few production fenders, but having difficulty lining up those neck profiles with something similar from musikraft.

I find the eric johnson thinline strat neck very comfortable. https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/O...08-07-2017.pdf

Also find the original 50's american telecaster neck comfortable (if only it had a 12" radius). https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/O...10-06-2017.pdf

I have a PRS wide fat neck that I like, but wish it were just a bit larger in hand.

Currently I'm between the 10/56, V - C and Chunky C profile.

I did try the Ed O'brien signature strat, which is supposed to have a 10/56 profile, but found it too large and overall not comfortable. https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/O...11-08-2017.pdf

I also tried the Richie Kotzen tele, which I understand is a 1" fat C, and I found this too large.

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Musikraft Neck Profile Choice Help

Assessing what you like:

Thickness at first fret:
    .88 (Tele)
    .86 (Strat)
    .875 (PRS)

= .86-.88 starting thickness

Thickness at 12th fret:
    .99 (Tele)
    .96 (Strat)
    .97 (PRS)

= .96-.99 final thickness

It also seems you like a C- or U-shaped profile more than a "V" by your descriptions, so cross any "V" necks off your list. Anything below .86 or above .99 thickness is also off the list (you didn't like the 1.0 profiles you've tried and anything below .86 is going to feel thinner than your PRS, which you don't want).

I think the absolute best fit for you is going to be the "[B]Les Paul[/B]" profile at .87-.97.

A distant second would be the "Chunky C-2" at .90-.99, which is basically the same thing, but at the verge of what you can probably tolerate thickness-wise.

Last edited by Masta' C; 11-13-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
      Assessing what you like:

Thickness at first fret:
      .88 (Tele)
      .86 (Strat)
      .875 (PRS)

= .86-.88 starting thickness

Thickness at 12th fret:
      .99 (Tele)
      .96 (Strat)
      .97 (PRS)

= .96-.99 final thickness

It also seems you like a C- or U-shaped profile more than a "V" by your descriptions, so cross any "V" necks off your list. Anything below .86 or above .99 thickness is also off the list (you didn't like the 1.0 profiles you've tried and anything below .86 is going to feel thinner than your PRS, which you don't want).

I think the absolute best fit for you is going to be the "[B]Les Paul[/B]" profile at .87-.97.

A distant second would be the "Chunky C-2" at .90-.99, which is basically the same thing, but at the verge of what you can probably tolerate thickness-wise.

you did your homework, dude! well done \m/

Comment

In my book it has to do with large vs small hands. On the other side is thumb over players vs. thumb on the back of the neck (classical style). Small handers and thumb over players often like V necks. Classical Players often like D necks. Large Handers like U necks. All the medium handers like C necks of all variants.
        And dont forget the neck/nut width, it often makes a difference between comfort and fighting with a neck. The different radii allow more or less bending. Rolling the fingerboard eases the playing on a wider neck.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Man I’d love to visit Musikraft and actually hold all those profiles in hand. We touched on it in the other thread about neck width/depth/profile, but I think the shoulders are such a huge component for me.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have big hands and strongly prefer thin "D" and "C" profiles. Fender's modern "C" on their Strat necks is as thick as I can stand. I find Jackson and the old B.C.Rich profiles to be about my favorites overall. Warmoth's "Standard Thin" is my thickest neck. It's all so subjective.

I totally agree that the shape of the shoulders makes all the difference. Technically, that's what makes a "U" different from a "C" different from a "D", etc.

I think the "C" shape nicely splits the difference between the "V" and "U" qualities in the OP's case.

Comment

Working...
            X