NGD - Fate intevenes. Backlund content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Fate intevenes. Backlund content

Week before last I got an email about a 24 hour flash sale, 50% off on the roughly Tele-shaped Backlund Model 200, in red only.
    Some of you probably know I've had a Model 400 for a couple of years and like it.

Had been admiring the 200 for awhile. It has forearm contour and belly cut, which for me make Tele types much more comfortable. Singlecoil rail neck pickup with a humbucker at the bridge. And of course the distinctive mid-century futurist styling that makes all of John Backlund's designs so unusual and striking.

But I resisted the urge and did not buy.
    A few factors helped: I have a number of Teles and own too many red guitars already. So I passed, somewhat reluctantly.

For a few days I felt good about not spending the money heading into the holidays and congratulated myself on my strength of will.

Then it happened.

I stumbled across a barely-used Backlund 100 DLX for sale. It has the Backlund retro-futuristic look, like something right out of The Jetsons. Same pickup combination as the 200. Forearm contour and belly cut, too. Not even remotely Tele-like. And it isn't red.

Suddenly I realized it hadn't been willpower that stopped me from buying the sale guitar.
    Obviously it was Fate - saving me from that impulse purchase so I'd have the money for this one.

Guitar is virtually unplayed. Not a scratch on it, not even a smudge. Factory strings still clean, and some of the protective plastic still on the pickguard. Set-neck construction (as opposed to the 200 which is bolt-on). Plus it has a trem, something I occasionally do miss when playing my 400.

I made an offer and wound up getting a basically brand new guitar for even less than I would've paid on that half-off deal.
    The seller threw in a nice Gibson gigbag for it.

So, I'm now the happy owner of a Backlund 100.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Re: NGD - Fate intevenes. Backlund content

Well, that’s certainly bizarre. How’s it sound?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

It looks like it is made of fiberglass!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd like it better if that black part was cut off.

Is that a 25th fret for the high E and B strings? It would actually be accessible if the black part of the body wasn't there.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Love their designs, can't wait to hear how you make out with it going forward
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            I'd like it better if that black part was cut off.

Is that a 25th fret for the high E and B strings? It would actually be accessible if the black part of the body wasn't there.
            What black part?

I see a guitar strap.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver View Post
              What black part?

I see a guitar strap.
              Oh, I see. My monitor isn't that great (or maybe it's my eyes that aren't so great). I see it now, and it makes more sense.

Well, now I like that guitar much better!

Comment

Calling George Jetson!!!!!!!
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I really like the Eastwood models that they've made with Backlund and Senn. I've been tempted by several of those flash sales recently. Were I not still in the blissful honeymoon period with another guitar, I think I would have grabbed one for sure.

I keep meaning to make it to their Nashville showroom, but so far I haven't. Very curious to see if the build quality lives up to the design.
                  ---------------------------
                  The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Build quality is good, solid & substantial - 8.7 lbs. Fairly lively feel to the neck and high fret access is easy. Well set up and it plays well too.

As you might imagine, the body shape is a bit awkward to play sitting down but in classical guitar position it works just fine. Balances well on a strap (the Model 400 is a bit neck heavy).

Tones are great. I'd expected the rail to be a stack but it definitely isn't hum cancelling. True singlecoil and the tone is worth a little noise. Thinking about lowering the bass side; the extreme angle of its placement is pretty audible, not necessarily in a bad way. Bass strings sound quite thick but there's sparkle up top and I don't want to affect the combined setting which is just wonderful.

Bridge hum I think is the same as the one in my 400, strong in the mids and not too compressed, a nice lead voice. (Haven't measured the DCRs yet but as I remember the bridge in the 400 was around 15K).

Middle position was a pleasant surprise - slightly scooped, nice and chimey, not what I expected. I think I'll be spending a lot of time in that position.

Sadly there's no second volume knob to change balance on the fly. I find double concentric volume pots inconvenient though I might consider one for a tone control.

If I had to criticize one thing, when the trem bar's in operating position, it's in the way when you reach for the volume knob.
                    The original design didn't have a trem so I absolutely don't fault John for not foreseeing this.
                    And it's easy enough to swing out of the way.

I have no beef with the build quality on either of my Backlunds. I will say that IMO the Eastland prices are a bit on the high side considering what's available in other import lines like Epiphone and the PRS SE series.

But the Backlund designs also definitely have the "wow" factor in a way few other brands do.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Sit-down playability like the old VOX teardrop shape.

Comment

Woah . . . that's a cool looking guitar! I dig the 25th fret access, although it looks like you would be limited when trying to bend up to 27. :P
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Really cool looking guitar. I like it. I like it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                          X