Faceted neck carving aka Boden Metal Strandberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faceted neck carving aka Boden Metal Strandberg

I was looking at some pix of Strandberg stuff, and noticed that the back of the neck is faceted instead of the tradition round neck carve. And the flat facet in the middle of the neck seems to be angled from the bass side near the nut, to the treble side at the body. Anyone have some better pix of this neck than I can find on Google images. Better still - some dimensions? It's an intriguing design, to be sure.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Faceted neck carving aka Boden Metal Strandberg

That is the Endurneck https://strandbergguitars.com/strandberg-endurneck/

He had shared the design (unfortunately he “had” to stop) so I’m sure the exact dimensions are still out there.

Edit: actually here’s the patent https://patents.google.com/patent/US20130186254A1/en

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Re: Faceted neck carving aka Boden Metal Strandberg

Thanks for the info.... Now, to study!

Comment

I find it between annoying and plain uncomfortable to use. If you only ever use a classical left hand position, I can see it working, but that leaves out a lot of players. I love the idea of re-thinking how a neck should be designed, I just think this one is not for me.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I find it between annoying and plain uncomfortable to use.
          I would find that “corner” under my thumb to get bothersome really quickly!

I can’t imagine why anyone would want this.

People have been carving guitar necks for a very long time. No one did his because it’s uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think that I'd like it.

Comment

I'm always up to try something new. About the only neck shapes that bother me are super narrow stuff like mandolins. No toothpicks for me. Fat, wide, chunky, round, it's all good.

Comment

The one I played (Plini signature) was a joy to play. Very smooth and fast. The neck felt comfortable and I didn't really need adjustment to play (my main guitar is the old designed Telecaster, go figure). I've been considering getting a Salen model.

Comment

The best neck I've ever played was acoustic Washburn with pretty sharp V shape. That felt just perfect to play.

Fender soft V feels a bit too thick for me, so I prefer C.

That looks intriguing design for sure.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Add in some fanned fret action.... Anyone played one? I had no trouble (surprisingly).

Comment

I've played Strandbergs with fanned frets. The frets are easy to get used to, but it was a 6 string, and I really didn't hear much of a difference in the low notes. I have played fanned fret 5 string basses that were unreal, with the low B sounding the way I think it was supposed to sound all along.
                      I wanted to like the back of the Stranderg's neck more than I did. I wanted to like the whole guitar more than I did, but I have to admit, I just don't like 24 fret guitars, and the neck feels like it is cutting into my palm in 2 places.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’d sure like to try one out.
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I loved the old design where it's a trapezoid all the way through. The slanted taper of the endurneck is not for me. My hand slid off the neck all the time.

But it's not my favourite design. My fav is my own 1.1" asymmetrical neck. Epicccc.

Comment

Working...
                          X