Surprise from new Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise from new Gibson

One of my pals over on the OLF had to pull a fingerboard from a brand new 2019 Gibson, and was surprised to find a RFID tracker sticker on the bottom of the board - and almost no glue.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: Surprise from new Gibson

Huh, FYI

Avery Dennison's RFID and digital ID solutions authenticate product history, provide tracking and inventory management and conjure richer consumer experiences.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Huh. Is this a new anti-fake thing, or something else?
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Huh. Is this a new anti-fake thing, or something else?
        Anti-theft, I'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Anti-theft, I'd think.
          These tags can be used to track the guitar through the manufacturing process to ensure it makes every stop it should before reaching the consumer. They can also detect things like temperature and humidity. If Gibson were to let the consumer access that information it would be pretty cool. Most likely they are in there to make sure no one runs out the door of GC with a Les Paul.

Comment

My guess is tracking through manufacturing and authentication.
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I have to go with its a manufacturing inventory/tracking thing. Doesn't mean it isn't something else.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Comment

There's a quick reference to them in the new Factory tour video from Premier Guitar. I want to say it's only a few minutes in.
                  Subscribe to PG's Channel: http://bit.ly/SubscribePGYouTubeLearn More About Gibson: https://bit.ly/GibsonGo behind the scenes and see new Les Pauls, SGs, Exp...

Comment

This thread shows the neck shaft too....
                    Just pulled a FB from a 2019 Gibby and found something interesting that will undoubtedly be problems down the road. They have some type of RFID tracker under the FB..... see pics. Now the problem is this leaves a huge area under the first 3 frets completely unglued to the neck! About 40% loss...

Comment

How have we gotten this far into a thread about Gibson changing something on their guitars without complaints that they've ruined the tone of the instrument? :P
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

This thread shows the neck shaft too....
                        https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/po...oblems.434205/
                        Posted by the same guy from the OLF.

Comment

If they used the minimum amount of glue needed, to be efficient, yet effective, they are cheap MFers.
                          If they used extra glue because they do it right +10% just to make sure, they are wasteful sloppy MFers.

Now - you have to REALLY work at it to become a company in that situation. So, no excuses there. But few people are legitimately critical of Gibson. Most area fanboys or haters.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                          X