Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings

Has anyone heard that the Daddario NYXLs were the same as the PRS Signature strings. Heard it mentioned in my local shop the other day and picked up a set. Supposedly the same strings but $1 cheaper.

Tried the NYXLs before but they were not my normal size strings and didnt like them. So far these are good, warm, not super bright like Boomers. Ill report back shortly with my thoughts.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Re: Strings

Because, you know, the local guitar goobers would have the industry ins to know that.

I like them and feel the same way about them vs Boomers. I prefer Boomers...but for long term economy, I'll take the NYXL's.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Did a bit of poking around on line, looks like they are made by D'Addario to PRSs specs. There is nothing definitive, but it talked alot about on the PRS forum.
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Was one who wound up from here being a beta tester for those before they came to the open market. Like them a lot have a set on my Carvin AE 185 but the cost with so many guitars keeps me from running them on everything. A little stiffer in the same gauge as the regular XL strings but they do sound better and last longer just not almost 3x the $ a set better!!
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

PRS Strings are not NYXLs . -the PRS Signature series are something else made by D'addario for PRS using similar portions of their process and technology but not the exact string.

However, the regular PRS Strings series are almost certainly rebadged D'addario XLS -or super close.

NYXLs are my favorite -because they have such intense separation and clarity -but that's not for everybody...

Most string companies' products are made by a select few string factories on a contract spec, so don't feel surprised by that if PRS is doing this...
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Way back when, a local PRS dealer said the PRS strings were made by D'Addario in a fashion more similar to what was being produced in the 70's. I want to say that he said they'd be comparable to the pure nickel or another more vintagey sounding thing. This was close to 15 years ago, and I don't remember if it was Signature strings or the normal ones.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

PRS knows quality. D'Addario strings are the best.

Comment

I tried em, I liked them ok.
                I still love the EB slinky's best.
                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                  I tried em, I liked them ok.
                  I still love the EB slinky's best.
                  You should try Dunlop Heavy Core's.

Comment