Help me choose a stratocaster neck(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a stratocaster neck(s)

Unless I find a good deal on something on Reverb, I plan to buy two Strat necks from Warmoth. One for a Tele Deluxe (Chris Shiflett model), and a Strat body. What I'm wavering on:

1. Vintage modern construction vs. Modern. I understand the VM is most similar to stock Fender necks. The Modern is more stabile, heavier, and stiffer.

2. Roasted maple possibly. Have Warmoth put a clear satin nitro finish, or oil it myself? I know I can leave these bare, but I'm not interested in that, since dirt and gunk will build up over time.

I'm not looking to go cheap, but not expensive either. So I'm budget conscious on these. I'm trying to stay within 2-300 each.

Thoughts?

Re: Help me choose a stratocaster neck(s)

Contact tone bomb . They are Canadian company . I got my custom macascar ebony on walnut neck for $300cad .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For my Warmoth neck, I went with Modern and Roasted Maple, but without a finish. Warmoth will tend to push you closer to the $300 mark though, as a warning. Mine was $400, but that was with a lot of extras that I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
        For my Warmoth neck, I went with Modern and Roasted Maple, but without a finish. Warmoth will tend to push you closer to the $300 mark though, as a warning. Mine was $400, but that was with a lot of extras that I wanted.
        I always found warmoth really expensive and lacking of wood options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love my Warmoth necks. I like the modern construction with the side truss rod adjustment. I like them unfinished because I think it gives organic tone gainz. The neck getting dirty after a year makes no difference because you can just hit it with 220s for 10 minutes and it's good for another year. You don't need to roast if you're not looking to spend hella money. Regular maple or maple and rosewood sounds great.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 12-28-2019, 09:47 PM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

If you want to prevent dirt build up and staining then a satin finish will do that better than oil.

I think their VM necks sound better. And the lighter weight is always desirable.

Comment

My Warmoth neck is wenge & ebony, and raw. I'd go for the modern, with a satin finish if you are going to get a finish.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Over the years I have had 3 Warmoth necks and just ordered my 4th as I really like how they fit my hands and have never had a problem with quality. I have used both vintage modern and modern. In a blindfolded test I doubt I could tell the difference. I usually just order from the showcase and my latest one was 227.00 including nut and finish. I gravitate towards the the clear satin nitro finish as I like the looks and feel. Haven't tried the roasted necks yet, but they sound cool.

Comment

I've played a couple Warmoth modern construction necks and really liked the way they sustained. They're slightly heavier than a standard truss rod neck, but if you didn't have two necks on hand to compare, I doubt you would notice. From everything I've read, they're also much more stable than the other construction necks they make. That's why I bought one.

Using some Watco Danish oil makes it very easy to finish a great feeling neck on your own.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Any favorite neck profiles? I was leaning toward the standard thin.

Comment

I get along with the Warmoth standard thin and the Wolfgang. Both are thin, but not uncomfy for playing rhythm for a couple hours on. You could always get an unfinished neck with on of the thicker profiles and then shape it exactly the way you want with some sandpaper.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I like their standard thin, with the compound radius. Very comfortable. If you can, go for the SS frets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I like their standard thin, with the compound radius. Very comfortable. If you can, go for the SS frets.
                          +1

Comment

Considering it's only 20$ difference, I can't understand how Warmoth sells any necks that aren't SS. :P

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              Considering it's only 20$ difference, I can't understand how Warmoth sells any necks that aren't SS. :P
                              Well, there are still people expressly tied to 'the way it used to be', so they cater to that audience, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X