No announcement yet.

Help me choose a stratocaster neck(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me choose a stratocaster neck(s)

Warmoth is the shiz mofos. I have 3 fatbax, 1 standard thin, and 1 59 roundback incoming. Unfinished is where it's at. Less $$ and sounds better. You can stick them on any body and you'll immediately get more organic tone gainz.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I honestly cannot count how many Warmoth necks I have gone through over the years. I’ve got 6 in service now and a pair of Musikraft Necks for two bodies that require 2-1/4” Charvel style heel width. I have zero complaints with any of the Warmoths I’ve had over the years (decades?). I’ve got one roasted maple with no finish and it feels spectacular. I’ve got a pair with the satin finish and I found that the satin turns into a pretty shiny gloss on the back of the neck after a certain amount of use. I much prefer applying my own tung oil or tru-oil finish. Definitely spring for the SS frets - I really dig Warmoth’s 6115 narrow/tall Stainless offering. As far as profile, my hands tell me that Warmoth has thinned their ‘standard thin’ ever so slightly over the years. I’ve got an early 90’s standard thin that is definitely chunkier than my more recent Warmoth standard thin necks. I also have a couple of the Wizard profile that I don’t dislike, but I wouldn’t go that thin again. The standard thin feels really nice and the compound radius allows for such clean buzz-free action the entire length of the neck with no annoying fretting out with heavy bends north of the 12th fret. I totally agree that you can very likely find the headstock shape and back profile you prefer in their ‘showcase’ for less than a custom build - and the trend I have seen is that Warmoth leaves many ‘showcase’ necks un-fretted so you can pick your fret wire. I think you will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by PDC View Post
        I totally agree that you can very likely find the headstock shape and back profile you prefer in their ‘showcase’ for less than a custom build
        This is true unless you want a floyd nut. Then you're SOL and have to order custom.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Xero - are you gonna install the frets yourself or have Warmoth put them in?

My personal preference is Modern construction and oil or wipe-on satin poly finish.

Comment

My choices would be roasted maple, vintage construction, stainless frets, and ‘59 neck profile.
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
              Xero - are you gonna install the frets yourself or have Warmoth put them in?

My personal preference is Modern construction and oil or wipe-on satin poly finish.
              I plan to have them install the frets. That's way over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus View Post
                I plan to have them install the frets. That's way over my head.
                In that case, spend the extra $ for SS.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love Warmoth necks. About to order my third once I ship one. I recently discovered that the neck on my Frankenstrat built in 1993 has a 1 5/8 nut when I thought it was 1 11/16 all these years...LOL. To my defense, I didn't place the order originally, a buddy of mine did that I worked with at the time at a music shop. It's the Warmoth Construction (pre-Modern construction), Boatneck contour, compound radius, maple/maple (though with it's aging the color looks more roasted now), satin finish that I wiped on myself and refinished it about 15 years ago. It's aged nicely. Crazy comfortable for me. The neck I just sold is same specs except for the nut width. Always wondered why it wasn't quite as comfortable, and now I know why. Once this one ships, I will be ordering a roasted maple with the same profile and 1 5/8 nut width. I've had nothing but good experience with Warmoth products.

The Standard Thin profile is a good one to go with if you're not sure how the others will feel to you. I like to look at the Showcase before ordering for any deals and have had some luck in the past but this time I think I'll have to custom order.

Edit: I went with a Showcase neck, roasted maple, with vintage/modern construction this time. The neck is 1" thick so I'm not worried about a lack of stability with that much wood.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 01-03-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I can refret necks no problem, but I will have Warmoth install them for $20 extra all day. I do however have the ends cut flush and I finish them myself.
                    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Has anyone gone roasted maple without a finish? If so, does it get gunky and dirty over time?

Comment

Any unfinished maple neck will stain and get gunky and dirty over time on the fretboard. Because there's no finish it's a little bit harder to clean them off (although a quick swipe with something mildly abrasive will do it). The roasted necks are a darker colour, so don't show the gunk as much as a light maple neck though.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The roasted maple has tighter pours too so it feels like it is finished because of the process. A buddy of mine has one of the newer Charvels with a roasted maple neck and the feel is amazing. Can't wait to get the one I ordered. If anything, wipe the neck down after each extended play time. No matter what, finish or not, grime will build up so nothing different in the care department than any other wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            AGREED!! I own 3 Carvin Kiesel guitars now with SS frets will never buy another guitar with conventional frets if I have a choice after playing these for a while. The feel and that smoothness for one thing and the fact I no longer have to rotate guitars to keep fret wear down is the biggest thing!!
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                              AGREED!! I own 3 Carvin Kiesel guitars now with SS frets will never buy another guitar with conventional frets if I have a choice after playing these for a while. The feel and that smoothness for one thing and the fact I no longer have to rotate guitars to keep fret wear down is the biggest thing!!
                              Absolutely the way I feel, too. If there is a choice, SS it is.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X