banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who applied a MDF guitar? Sonic-pleasure possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who applied a MDF guitar? Sonic-pleasure possible?

Happy New Year Everyone!

Is anyone here who has played a MDF guitar, with a differntiated perspective on it?

Many Greetings!
    Last edited by AlexS7320; 01-01-2020, 04:21 PM.

Re: Who applied a MDF guitar? Sonic-pleasure possible?

I've played some fun danelectros.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1EDFBCFA-6357-45F6-97C1-31A0F94312F4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	5817918
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Aren't you the one who was looking for a neck and pickup for said MDF body?

Why would you necessarily want a heavy glue body anyway
        Just curious ya know
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Re: Who has used a MDF guitar? Sonic-pleasure possible?

For use as a body it would be too heavy. And it would be a bad choice for a neck since it’s not dimensionally strong.

But it wouldn’t sound too different from a dense heavy wood like hard ash.

Danelectros have poplar frames (and necks) with Masonite tops and backs. Masonite is similar to MDF, but it’s tempered and has the laminate on the top. But otherwise it’s the same stuff as MDF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Who has used a MDF guitar? Sonic-pleasure possible?

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            Aren't you the one who was looking for a neck and pickup for said MDF body?
            Pickup. The Neck was added by you by the 'Chinese Whispers' principle.
            Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            But it wouldn’t sound too different from a dense heavy wood like hard ash.
            The guitar is on its way, i just wanted to daydream about how the wood would be like ;-p

I close the topic now as the muses of this board dont seem to get along with it too well

But, i would like to conclude: it has a chance as a pure Metal Axe like it was advertised then in the 80s :-D
            Last edited by AlexS7320; 01-03-2020, 07:21 AM.

Comment

This other thread says a body made from MDF will be very heavy - unless it has been designed with internal chambering. Also, if you ever mod it - like drilling extra holes for additional pots, etc. you have to be very careful about the sawdust from it because it is toxic (formaldehyde).

Got bored and had to satisfy the inspiration both Terry and Bucko gave me with their love of medium (I'd hate to feel the weight of hard) density fiberboard. Had some 16mm and 12mm MDF laying about. Funnily enough 16 + 12 +16 = 44 ... with a bit of glue, that's exactly 1 3/4 inches! Now...
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                This other thread says a body made from MDF will be very heavy - unless it has been designed with internal chambering. Also, if you ever mod it - like drilling extra holes for additional pots, etc. you have to be very careful about the sawdust from it because it is toxic (formaldehyde).

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/mdf-is-awful-stuff.89943/
                Yeah, that's a great reminder for people. If you buy MDF, it's a good idea to let out in the sun to off gas formaldehyde vapors for a few days or weeks -leaving in the sun greatly speeds up the natural process of curing. Manufacturers use less UF glue now than 15 years ago and hopefully the MDF you purchase is at least 6-12 months old by the time you cut it -this decreases the gas risks dramatically.

During the building boom in my area, some houses were built almost entirely of MDF for joists, panels and even some studs, MDF that had just been manufactured weeks prior and gassing aggressively (due to the brisk demand of the market) -and the MDF would only be 3-4 months old when the homeowner took possession. Essentially these families were moving into a house that would be slowly gassing them for the next year.

the science on the dust AFTER the wood has off gassed the Formaldehyde vapor properly is unclear -as it's hard as hell to study because the cancer studies that have been conducted in the production factories on the workers are never handling older MDF that has been allowed to off gas -but if you cut MDF, have proper ventilation, and a basic mask should be warn.

Also, new furniture is often even worse -especially the fire retardant they spray on top of the formaldehyde.... google that to be terrified.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Well, that guitar is from the late eighties, most likely made by Samick in Korea for Aria.
                  Its called Aria Pro II JS (black=non-reverse Headstock)
                  I also dont want to do anything with the mdf.

Google Pvc. The people who initially worked in pvc factorys had their hands mutated during lifetime...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexS7320 View Post
                    Well, that guitar is from the late eighties, most likely made by Samick in Korea for Aria.
                    Its called Aria Pro II JS (black=non-reverse Headstock)
                    I also dont want to do anything with the mdf.

Google Pvc. The people who initially worked in pvc factorys had their hands mutated during lifetime...
                    Jesus Man. Didn't know about that one...

We live in a giant toxic bomb.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

So which neck did you get?
                      EHD

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Also, new furniture is often even worse -especially the fire retardant they spray on top of the formaldehyde.... google that to be terrified.
                        Bought two new book cases for the bedroom about 8 years ago. They stunk so bad I moved them to my second floor porch to air out for about two months. Put them back in the bed room and filled the shelves but after two days they began to stink badly again. Stuck an exhaust fan in the window and hardly entered the room for the next four months! It was he most God awful sure to give you cancer kind of smell I've ever encountered. I don't understand how something like that can be legal.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                          I don't understand how something like that can be legal.
                          It's a pretty popular opinion in some circles that government should be cut down to the smallest size possible. One of the responsibilities of government is regulating toxicity in products, as history has shown time and again that private industry doesn't do this very well.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Do you think this guy really had a MDF guitar? : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?t=1089748
                            Post #13 in the given link takes that into consideration.

Comment

Hmm 12 year old thread
                              Next few posts talk about painting neck pockets

Sounds like children talking
                              Blah blah nonsense

Does look like MDF

May be Basswood
                              Hard to tell
                              Couldn't zoom in

Wisht it wasn't so old where we could check to see how that came out
                              EHD

Comment

Working...
                              X