banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHD...Went to Nashville over Christmas break and this followed me home...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHD...Went to Nashville over Christmas break and this followed me home...

Took my wife on a quick run to Nashville after Christmas, and was looking to expand my collection of Les Paul’s with a Custom, but nothing really appealed to me like this one.

It’s a Collings 290 with a Bigsby and TV Jones Classic and Classic +.

It’s a fun guitar that’s a little different than my normal selection. It plays great and the TV Jones pickups have a nice sound to them that isn’t all twang like I thought they’d be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: NHD...Went to Nashville over Christmas break and this followed me home...

Super cool, It's sort of like a high end LP "The Paul" finish with a Bigsby and with those TV Jones Filtertrons it should be super breathy with a distinct top end.

I'd imagine this guitar sounds something like a Grestch Duo Jet? -which are pretty amazing. Any opinions yet on the tone?
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I believe Collings refers to that as the Doghair finish?
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        I believe Collings refers to that as the Doghair finish?
        I dig it... do ever work on Collings guitars?
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yes. That’s a dog hair finish.

I haven’t run it through my rig yet, but I did run it through a Henriksen Jazz amp and a silverface Princeton at Gruhn before I bought it.

The neck pickup is a TV Jones Classic with bridge being a Classic +.

With the mahogany neck and body and the Gibson scale length, it sounds kind of like a Junior would with filtertron style pickups, in my mind.

Breathy is a pretty good description in a clean context but it does seem to get a little attitude & bark when you dig in with it through the Princeton using the bridge Classic +. Nowhere near the high output humbuckers my ears are accustomed to hearing. It’s odd but satisfying at the same time.

I’m anxious to hear it though one of my Soldanos this weekend. We drove home yesterday and went back to work today. So, play time is limited to unplugged until then.

I have a feeling I’ll be looking for a twin as a backup at some point, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not at all about the Filtertrons. However - cool guitar and I'm glad they are working for you. Axe definitely has some mojo!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Beautiful guitar! Looking forward to some updates once you
              get to dig in a little bit. Congrats.

Comment

knock out!
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

That’s a lovely axe. We have a Collings LP Jr Singlecut 290 in the store at the moment - plays and sounds great - with the TV Jones on this, I can only imagine how good his one is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I like it!
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

That one is a beaut, I can see the attraction!
                      "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Mmmmm
                        Like that finish
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I love that understated finish. I wonder why we don't see more finishes like that instead of the gaudy Kiesel things that get thrown at us all the time.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My Reptile green LP is a satin finish like that
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I love that understated finish. I wonder why we don't see more finishes like that instead of the gaudy Kiesel things that get thrown at us all the time.
                              Agree on the alien puke burst thangies from Kiesel but many are NOT like that!! Lot of us out here who love Carvin Kiesel guitars also hate that crap!
                              I flat don't get a lot of this crazy beveled top weird wood stuff either and it ain't just from Kiesel.
                              My main 3 Kiesel Carvins.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Rockers 4.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	5817932
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X