Fretboard inlay stickers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard inlay stickers?

Ive been curious. Who has tried or uses those fretboard inlay stickers? What are your thoughts? It seems to me that they would change the feel when fretting (probably not more than say regular inlays such as Gibson trapezoids), but my biggest concern would be whether you would catch the string on the edge of the sticker when bending and it would hinder playing or the string would catch the edge and either stick or peel off the sticker..?
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Fretboard inlay stickers?

I don't see any way that a sticker would stand up playing over time. Your hands are sweaty/oily, and your fingers are constantly scraping strings across where the sticker sits. At the very least I'd figure they would get gross and grungy at the edges quickly, and I'd be surprised if they don't peel off very quickly once the edges get tacky. On a rosewood board I think the oiliness of the wood would prevent them from adhering well in the first place . . . they would probably work best on a gloss maple board. But I wouldn't expect much.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I can't see stickers being a good idea anywhere your hand is touching all the time. Other than to get a sense of what your guitar might look like with a different neck, I recommend you just get used to what you have.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a set on my Toby bass. You cannot feel them while playing.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I feel like they would work better on a bass than a guitar. You're not really bending strings too often on bass . . . and if it's got tall frets your fingers should rarely/never be touching the fretboard.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have some on a Dean Inferno. The inlays are a cool flame motif up the neck. IM****ING POSSIBLE to see where you are playing. I got some and they work great.

Also - you guys need to lighten your touch! If you are worried about the edge of a sticker, you must be digging ruts in the fretboard!!!!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              If you are worried about the edge of a sticker, you must be digging ruts in the fretboard!!!!
              A sticker wouldn't last a week on my guitar. I do a ton of bending and vibrato. Two or three more years abuse and my Iceman neck is going to look scalloped.

Comment

Just say no BR. Fretboard stickers are for people who want their RGs to look like JEMs.

Unless you are Steve Dallas of course.

Comment

I've used them on a couple guitars over the years.
                  Never had them peel or flake or get caught.
                  Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Have some on my acoustic and had some on a "no fretboard inlays" electric a few years back.

I fret hard and bend a lot, and had no issues, back then or now.
                    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I put some on a USA Custom Shop Jackson with a blank ebony board several years ago, and I'm using 9s. They're super thin, and unless you drag your nails across the wood while bending, you're not going to feel them any more than you would a little excess epoxy around any other inlays.

I even made some for a maple board myself using print-your-own window decals, which were thicker, and they didn't feel intrusive.

People like to bash the simple and easy alternative to a custom-inlaid fretboard, but only because they aren't dropping the money on your behalf, and have probably never even tried them.

Comment

I've put several sets on a few guitars and they've been on for about 10 years now. There have been no problems whatsoever on the large ones with simple edges (like large Gibson type trapezoids). The ONLY one that has given me problems is a set that has very intricate edge detail...very thin and pointy. I'm referring specifically to a set of bats with fine pointy wing details that I put on one of my Wilshires with the batwing shaped head. The ends of the points are coming up. But they look terrific.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'm kinda blown away that so many people have so little problem with these stickers. My fretboard needs to have dirt and grim scraped off it every couple months. I feel like the stickers wouldn't last long in that environment.

Comment

That depends on the actual need for such maintenance. Some people do it to keep their boards photogenic, especially maple. Others never do it, or only if it becomes a physical issue (actual tone loss vs imagined tone loss not due to other factors). While I'm not prowling the world's stages every night with my stickered board, I have given it the 4-hour bedroom set, running up and down the neck and across all 6 strings, and they're fine.

Comment

this make no sense -dirt trap anyone? probably get MRSA from them if you gig enough...
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X