• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fretboard inlay stickers?

Jennifer Batten says 'yes'...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      this make no sense -dirt trap anyone? probably get MRSA from them if you gig enough...
      The stickers I have are a chrome foil type/finish, and not porous like those Office Depot colored dots, so I'm not seeing how they're going to trap or absorb anything through the top, and nothing's getting under them.

As well, they're cheap enough that if you do scrape them off and clean and oil the board, you can put new ones on.

Also, in further regards to the question of "will they affect tone?", they cannot, except on a fretless, and even then only if you're fretting on the sticker itself instead of in the proper positions between them. On a fretted guitar, you're getting nothing from the fretboard except acoustic tone, so even though the string touches the board, the note is coming from the other side of the fret wire. When you fret notes, you're basically relocating the bridge in sections.

Anyone else remember Andy Summers' "skeleton" guitar where the neck was just fret wires on a metal broom stick? No wood, all tone.
      Last edited by Newcenstein; 01-07-2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newcenstein View Post
        The stickers I have are a chrome foil type/finish, and not porous like those Office Depot colored dots, so I'm not seeing how they're going to trap or absorb anything through the top, and nothing's getting under them.

As well, they're cheap enough that if you do scrape them off and clean and oil the board, you can put new ones on.
        most Bacteria are 1/1000 the size of a millimeter in depth. so you are completely missing the scale of what a dirt trap is.

My guitar is a pile of sweat every night..... I guess I'd have to see this to believe it's not building a bacteria hangout on the edges and party
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

….

Comment

most Bacteria are 1/1000 the size of a millimeter in depth. so you are completely missing the scale of what a dirt trap is.

My guitar is a pile of sweat every night..... I guess I'd have to see this to believe it's not building a bacteria hangout on the edges and party
            The pores of your rosewood fretboard are probably trapping more bacteria than the stickers would, just take your L-Lysine and Vitamin C and go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              The pores of your rosewood fretboard are probably trapping more bacteria than the stickers would, just take your L-Lysine and Vitamin C and go for it.
              indeed but I need the rosewood

Maple with lacquer is the true Seinfeldian Germaphobes choice -actually Aluminum even better.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I had one of the first aluminum neck Kramers, but it had an ebony fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  I had one of the first aluminum neck Kramers, but it had an ebony fretboard.
                  Thats what my Travis Bean Kramer has.

EGC is putting out straight aluminum necks now -they are awesome slender, heavy as F*ck, and ice cold!

Ebony is by far my favorite neck wood.

Comment

I like the looks of maple, I don't mind when it gets dirty, shows it's been used and full of germs

Ebony is my 2nd favorite, but, it all comes down to the complete package, my main guitar for a long time had rosewood and I loved that guitar.

Comment

The funny thing about the human body - your bacteria is not hostile towards you. If you're passing your guitar around the room like a joint, well, reaping and sowing comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Newcenstein View Post
                        The funny thing about the human body - your bacteria is not hostile towards you. If you're passing your guitar around the room like a joint, well, reaping and sowing comes to mind.
                        I'm just messing with you, I'm not as Seinfeldian germaphobe as I'm putting on.

I just think fret stickers are pretty silly.

Comment

Working...
                        X