Epiphone Les Paul 8 string..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Les Paul 8 string..?

I realize that the 8 string guitar is quite a niche area for a lot of guitarists but, by a show of hands, do any players of 8 strings think that Epiphone should make even a budget 8 string model.

Just one with a colour option, like the Les Paul Special I of a few years ago.

A budget model.

YES or NO..?
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Re: Epiphone Les Paul 8 string..?

I don't know what would be uniquely appealing about an Epiphone version over an LP copy from any other manufacturer, but...sure?
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Those Epiphone LP Specials are garbage. I don't see how adding more strings to them would improve anything. Ibanez and LTD have affordable 8-strings.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Well, to be honest, you wouldn't expect them go high level straight away given that they seem to fear doing 7 strings.

I think 4 models ever, besides signature.

I believe they'd sell enough to make better models a viable option.

I have a Special and it's one of those guitars that just worked. I re-engined it with SD's making it sound better but, there's nothing wrong with the build quality.

Comment

Ehh there is a lot wrong with the build quality. They barely intonate properly at 6 strings. The same design with more strings would be way out of whack.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            Ehh there is a lot wrong with the build quality. They barely intonate properly at 6 strings. The same design with more strings would be way out of whack.
            I must have a good one off then - that can happen.

What about the Special two with traditional stop bar instead of the wraparound..?

What, if it was given to you to design, would you have in the 8 string 's spec.?

Myself, tune-o-matic stopbar, volume, tone and toggle controls, 28" scale and either Duncan Designed 8's or maybe the Nazgul/Sentient (unless SD will do a JB/Jazz set for 8 strings)

Comment

Maybe they should simplify by only installing the two lowest strings. That's all anyone uses on most 8-strings anyway.

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
              The same design with more strings would be way out of whack.
              ---------------------------
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                Maybe they should simplify by only installing the two lowest strings. That's all anyone uses on most 8-strings anyway.
                Point - but, for the Tosin Abasi's of this world who don't... and the kids who want to experiment with a name rather than Gear4Music's stuff..?

Comment

Brands try to maintain a coherent image. Their image is all about historical correctness. Epiphone and Gibson are aiming for the classic rock and blues crowds. They intentionally choose not to compete in the modern/ergonomic/shred/down-tuned/djent markets.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
                    Brands try to maintain a coherent image. Their image is all about historical correctness. Epiphone and Gibson are aiming for the classic rock and blues crowds. They intentionally choose not to compete in the modern/ergonomic/shred/down-tuned/djent markets.

And as a result of failing to move with the times, they along with Fender, came within an ace of going under.

In an effort to save the brand they MUST go to hitherto uncharted territories or become obsolete and go out of business.

Hence - Gibson Les Paul 8 string and Epiphone. If they get bought, there is profit to be had and bills get paid.

So, many people ask 'why would you want more than 6 strings or 4 for bass?' Don't ask why. People do.

That's why they're here and why the companies who make them are doing so well.

Comment

Gibson's economic problems never came from lack of sales. They came from overpaying management and underpaying workers.

Comment

https://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPEC2...SABEgLBJvD_BwE this is what you want. It just has a metal brand on the headstock instead of a 50s jazz brand.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                          And as a result of failing to move with the times, they along with Fender, came within an ace of going under.

In an effort to save the brand they MUST go to hitherto uncharted territories or become obsolete and go out of business.

Hence - Gibson Les Paul 8 string and Epiphone. If they get bought, there is profit to be had and bills get paid.

So, many people ask 'why would you want more than 6 strings or 4 for bass?' Don't ask why. People do.

That's why they're here and why the companies who make them are doing so well.
                          I don't disagree that they've lost market share by failing to keep up with trends for 30+ years, but I don't think 7 and 8 string guitars are a big enough trend to necessarily warrant the increased production costs. I'd bet Gibson + Epiphone sell more SGs than all other brands sell 7 string guitars combined.

Comment

I can't see the utility of it. Simply adding strings isn't a sound strategy because you're just magnifying inherent weaknesses. The tension of the 7th and 8th strings would be poor, the tension of the 7th and 8th strings would make the action higher on the other strings, intonation with a 24 3/4in scale neck would be poor, and scaling up a 6-string pickups to 8-strings would mean the pickup may not efficiently reproduce the guitars extended frequency range. So you need to design a new instrument with a scale length which works and design new pickups to faithfully reproduce the extended frequency range.
                            Last edited by idsnowdog; 01-27-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I too wish large corporations would build one off instruments that appeal to a minority of players
                              And would sell them at cost to me

So I could benefit from their loss

Gibson is in the business of producing what appeals to the mass consumer
                              They want to sell many units at a lower price point
                              Or few units at a higher price point

Their is no benefit in selling few products at bargain prices
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X