NGD, but not for me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD, but not for me...

My grandson will turn 7 next month. Every time he comes over our house he wants to play my guitars. They are too big for him but he sits down and I put on his lap and he strums away at it. I found this Squier mini Strat that’s basically a smaller version of his favorite red Strat of mine that he always wants to hold.

I’ve got a little solid state Crate amp, a stand, and a strap with a cord. I only paid $80 with a gig bag. The little guy is going to lose his mind. I really hope that he takes to it. I’m going to try and find him a good teacher and give him some lessons too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: NGD, but not for me...

Awesome!!!!!!
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Great job grandpa!!!

Comment

Even if he doesn't go on to actually become a full-fledged guitarist it is an awesome gift and he will love it.

Comment

+1 to all that's been said so far.

Great present.

I saw those in seafoam green and wanted to buy one for myself just for the heck of it.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I have that exact guitar. Those things work great. Tuners are the weak part but they work. I’ve used mine as a backup or for alt tunings at gigs before. (Short scales sound great tuned down with heavier strings - like for slide work). We’ll be seeing that kid on this board in the future.

Comment

If that's the 3/4 scale Strat, I have 2 of them in the basement as they were the first guitars I bought for my boys ~13 years ago. They really did work great! The only issue I remember having was the nut on the output jack kept loosening, so I used some loctite on them.

A nice gift!
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

my oldest nephew was extremely gifted musically... until he was teased at school for choosing to play baritone horn. Now he thinks all musical instruments are for nerds.

I'm king nerd
                Last edited by Open lane; 02-04-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                  my oldest nephew was extremely gifted musically... until he was teased at school for choosing to play baritone horn. Now he thinks all musical instruments are for nerds.

I'm king nerd
                  It’s too bad other kids ruined it for him. On the other hand, one of my sons is exceptionally gifted as an athlete, can play pretty much anything well.

Up until high school he looked like he could maybe be a baseball star, and I love baseball. He was great defensively and could hit. Then as a freshman he had a genuine dick for a coach, and never played again.

He was a really good wrestler, wrestled varsity all four years, and went to States regularly. Skateboarded, raced BMX, and snowboarded, but never played baseball again.

I don’t blame the coach, he really didn’t love playing the game. If he loved it we could have gotten him on a different team. Maybe your nephew didn’t have the passion just like my boy who had all the talent but none of the passion. I wish I had his ability, but I never did.

Comment

My nephew plays sports. He seems to love them, although my brother said his younger brother shows more talent at them than him. He knows if he ever changes his mind about guitar, i'm here for him. My youngest nephew is taking a liking for my guitars whenever he's over the house, and i trained him to say his favorite guitarist us "yngwie" which cracks me up.

Comment

I took the boys guitar apart today and conditioned the fretboard after a good cleaning, changed the strings, and got it all tuned up for him.
                      I threw on a Fender neck plate I had laying around, and I was going to throw on a set of tuners I had leftover from an old project but that would have required enlarging the holes in the headstock and making a series of smaller holes for the little nubs that Fender tuners have to keep them from turning when you tighten them. To be honest it didn’t seem to be worth the effort. The stock tuners are cheesy but they don’t slip, and do what they’re supposed to, so I left that for another day.

Comment

Looks sweet!

Comment

Upgrades! That will be a keeper for him!
                          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Man, that's is way cool! Good onya!
                            --------------------------------------------------------
                            1973 Aria 551
                            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I have the same guitar, for the same reason: So the grandkids have something to beat on when they come over. Funny thing is . . . sometimes the short scale is fun to mess with myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X