Good fret polish.... no black fingers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good fret polish.... no black fingers

^ My instinct would be to use the finest grit scotch brite which is the white. Then your favorite fretboard moisturizer as a cleaner. I've tried using acetone to clean things up after my fret jobs and it didn't improve much against the bare wood.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 02-07-2020, 12:27 AM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I use aquabase to clean the fretboards. That gets even the stickiest grime off of fretboards.

fairly affordable but only available in these larger containers. This stuff is so good, you don't have to scrub your fretboard with an abbrasive to clean, ergo: you don't have to repolish your fretboards.

Comment

I find this to be very handy:

In my experience, it is perfectly enough to restore shine and it is also useable to remove mild grime buildup on the board.

Comment

I think the OP was asking about cleaning, not finishing frets after a level/crown. Seriously, Gorgomyte works great, cleans the fretboard, and no dust of any kind to deal with. It removes the stuff that makes your fingers black.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            I think the OP was asking about cleaning, not finishing frets after a level/crown. Seriously, Gorgomyte works great, cleans the fretboard, and no dust of any kind to deal with. It removes the stuff that makes your fingers black.
            but that black stuff is where the "tone" comes from.

Don't ever clean off you MOjo!

in all seriousness, I had a drummer for a decade that refused to clean his drums because he thought it would affect his sound.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I use Flitz on all of my guitar's metal parts. Excellent non-abrasive cleaner and polisher.

Go to YouTube and search for "Clean Frets". You'll find lots of interesting ways that appear to be effective and don't involve the use of steel wool or sandpaper. For example, here's a link to MusicNomad using their guitar polish in conjunction with their Grip Guards to quickly clean and shine up frets.

Last edited by bhr; 02-08-2020, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                OP here. Actually the question was about polishing frets after a level/crown.

Comment

For final polishing I use a Dremmel and a small cloth buffing wheel with Jewelers Rouge. Then clean the board thoroughly with lemon oil or lighter fluid before a final app of Fret Doctor.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    but that black stuff is where the "tone" comes from.

Don't ever clean off you MOjo!

in all seriousness, I had a drummer for a decade that refused to clean his drums because he thought it would affect his sound.
                    So that's what I've been doing wrong.

Yeah, well, drummers...

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
                    OP here. Actually the question was about polishing frets after a level/crown.
                    Ah, my misunderstanding.

Comment

So much steel wool hatred on this forum. I've never had a problem with it.

It's cheap as dirt, classic, effective, and its waste is easily digestible by the Earth.

Just use it with skill, care, preparation, and the right work environment and tools, and you will have no trouble. If you get it on your pickups, blow it off with compressed air afterward...but if you do it with some care, you shouldn't get any on your pickups.

When using it, wear work gloves. I've never been left with black fingers from using it on my frets and fretboards. It's not your final step. You should be polishing afterward, and then cleaning off your polishing compound with a mild solvent.

Scotchbrite is good stuff too. But I don't find it to be highly superior to steel wool, or steel wool to be particularly worthy of such strong negative feelings.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        So much steel wool hatred on this forum. I've never had a problem with it.

It's cheap as dirt, classic, effective, and its waste is easily digestible by the Earth.

Just use it with skill, care, preparation, and the right work environment and tools, and you will have no trouble. If you get it on your pickups, blow it off with compressed air afterward...but if you do it with some care, you shouldn't get any on your pickups.

When using it, wear work gloves. I've never been left with black fingers from using it on my frets and fretboards. It's not your final step. You should be polishing afterward, and then cleaning off your polishing compound with a mild solvent.

Scotchbrite is good stuff too. But I don't find it to be highly superior to steel wool, or steel wool to be particularly worthy of such strong negative feelings.
                        Me either -I still use it, just have to know what your doing.

There are easier faster options these days, but every time I mention steel wool on this forum, someone will lose their sh*t
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          Me either -I still use it, just have to know what your doing.

There are easier faster options these days, but every time I mention steel wool on this forum, someone will lose their sh*t
                          I love mentioning it just to piss off a certain self-declared grizzled expert luthier and angry ranter.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X