No announcement yet.

Ready for a 7 string... But which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for a 7 string... But which one?

Hello everyone!

I've been actively looking up and checking out 7-string guitars for the past 2-3 months, but I can't settle down on one model. I've narrowed the list down to about 4 guitars but can't choose. Here it is, along with the things I'm worried about on the model:

-PRS Holcomb SVN : No stainless steel frets, alledgedly not that great Quality Control, price/quality ratio. (1250€)
    -Schecter KM-7 MK-II NP : Looks very plain, 12-16" compound radius sounds wrong on a 7 string (but I haven't had the occasion to try one out so idk). (1200€)
    -Ormsby SX GTR 7 : multiscale (I think it is very cool but i'm worried that the pickups options are very limited in case I want to change). (900€/second hand)
    -Schecter C-7 Multiscale SLS Elite : I don't know about those active pickups. (1400€)

Basically each one has its pros and cons, but I want to know if people have tried out or even bought one of these and what they think of it.
    Relatively obvious, but it's aimed to play modern metal, stuff like Periphery, Tesseract, Monuments, Animals As Leaders... etc.

Re: Ready for a 7 string... But which one?

Apart from the regular C-7FR, which I owned a few years back (and never really bonded with it), I have no experience with the models you suggested.

On a different scope, I've been looking for the Jackson RRX24-7. Regular 25.5' scale, which I don't find problematic when playing in B standard . With a few hardware and electronic upgrades, it would make a very usable Metal axe.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
      Apart from the regular C-7FR, which I owned a few years back (and never really bonded with it), I have no experience with the models you suggested.

On a different scope, I've been looking for the Jackson RRX24-7. Regular 25.5' scale, which I don't find problematic when playing in B standard . With a few hardware and electronic upgrades, it would make a very usable Metal axe.
      Yeah, I don't like 25.5" on 7 strings... A few weeks back I gave it a try and checked out a second-hand Mayones (way out of my price range though) regius with a 25.5" scale length, and while the guitar was incredible to play on, as soon as I tried drop tuning it just sounded and felt wrong. Most of the stuff I'd like to play on a 7 are heavily down tuned, like drop G, F# or even lower... So I settled my mind on 26.5" and more (or multiscale)

Thanks for your insight though!

Comment

I briefly played the Mark Holcomb 7 string at NAMM and thought it felt and played great. I don't know about the quality control issues you've heard about that particular model, but I've played and owned a few PRS SE guitars over the years and the quality on all of them has been top-notch.

I haven't played those particular Schecter guitars you listed, but I did own a Schecter Blackjack ATX C7 a few years back and really really liked it. I've heard a ton of great things about the Keith Merrow signatures, though.

Ormsby guitars are great as well. I got to try some of them out. I personally haven't been able to get a good handle on multiscale guitars yet, though. I haven't had enough time to feel really comfortable playing them. That might be something to think about if you don't have a lot of experience with multiscale instruments.

If I had to choose, I would go with either the Holcomb 7-string or the Merrow KM-7.

Comment

Ive never heard much of any QC issues with PRS guitars.

Why would a compound radius be weird on a 7, unless you also think it’s weird on a 6?

Good luck with finding a good scale for lower than A or so. I had a 27” 8 string for awhile. An .080” felt great for F#, but sounded like a really weird bass. A .064” sounded awesome, but felt like spaghetti. All the treble strings felt way too tight and weird, regardless of the gauges. For tuning down around F#, I’d want a multi scale that was at least 28” on the bottom, and no more than 25.5” on top.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

It's not so much about the compound radius itself, it's more that I feel like 12" is a tad bit too round for a 7, considering it has a wider neck (and that even on 6 strings I prefer something between 14 and 16)
            Regarding scale length, that's also what my experience has been, although it's not so much about the lower string being floppy but rather about the higher ones feeling tight as hell on 26.5 or above. That's the main reason why I started looking into multiscale instruments.

About the QC issues on the PRS, from what i've heard it's not anything too serious, just some inconveniences that can be settled with a thorough setup. The main problem I have with this model is that I feel like I'm getting less bang for my buck than any of the other models.
            I mean with the Schecters and the Orsmby I'm getting SS frets, locking tuners and hipshot hardware for the same price, if not a lower price than the SE, so...

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Comment

FWIW, I recently switched to playing bass, and funded it by selling almost all of my guitar gear. The one I kept is an SE Custom 24. I also still have my dad’s vintage Gibson’s, and the PRS is a nicer guitar in every way than the 1962 Les Paul.

In short, don’t be afraid of being sold short on the cheaper PRS stuff.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Aristides 070 or 070S. hands down the best designed, best sounding and best playing 7 string around.

Comment

I'd also go into it with the idea that you won't have to change anything- buy the guitar you like now, and make sure to try as many as you can.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X