Glossy Rosewood Fretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glossy Rosewood Fretboard?

I kinda dig the glossy maple fretboards you find on many Fenders, and I have a little project I’m going to start this weekend which involves refinishing a cheap neck I got from GuitarFetish’s Factory Buyout Clearance section a year or so ago.

It has a rosewood fretboard and I’m tempted to finish it glossy at the same time as I do the rest of the neck. Any idea why most people leave rosewood unfinished? If it’s just because it’s hard enough that it doesn’t require it, then I’ll probably give it a try. Anyone know of any other reason why it might be a bad idea?

Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Re: Glossy Rosewood Fretboard?

Rickenbacker.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Hmmmm...

Well, I suppose if it’s good enough for a Rick…

[emoji12]

Comment

no reason ya cant, like he said, rick does it all the time. it is a cool look too

Comment

Rickenbacker used bubinga fretboards. It’s not as oily as rosewood.

You would probably get it to work, but I’d worry it might delaminate eventually. If you try it, wipe the board down with some acetone first to de-oil it.

Comment

I've finished a few woods including rosewood. Still going strong.

Of note is that the side of the rosewood board is finished in every non bound neck. Personally I've not found an extensive list of people complaining of peeling, but the tip of de-oiling/de-contamination would be worth doing in any case for any surface you wish to put finish on.

Comment

I had a friend who sanded his rosewood fretboard very smooth, then used one of those oil finishes (either tru oil or Danish oil, can't remember which one) and it ended up semi-glossy, and not feeling like rosewood at all. Might give that a go.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

First I'd try using something like F-One Oil, let it sit overnight then buff the hell out of it and see if that would work for you.
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I've finished rosewood and many other hardwood fretboards with lacquer and urethane with no problems at all. I really like the look and feel of a finished fretboard like Fender and Ric.

Go for it.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I used to de-oil rosewood with acetone and sealed it with shellac. Shellac is great on oily woods.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Thanks for all the input, guys!

I went ahead and used gloss urethane on it and I’m really liking the result. The fretboard has 4 coats now, which should be sufficient, and it looks like you can reach down into the wood! Here’s a pic, although it doesn’t really do justice to the real thing...

What’s that funk on the headstock you ask? Oh, that’s just my humorous attempt at a “custom logo!” [emoji23] I’ve been drawing that little Viking dude on everything since I was a teenager, so...

Thanks again!

Comment

Looks fine. I like the cute little Viking.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                        X