Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jazz III Red or Black

Originally posted by coachc55 View Post
    Try the Jazztone 205. It’s made of ultex, is extremely durable and has a great tone in my opinion. I used to use the Ultex Jazz III but I like the 205’s better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hadn't seen these before. I need to check them out...slightly different shape, but I like the material.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      Based on a few of these posts I assume not everyone is aware that the regular red and black jazz3 offers a max-grip version.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/products/g...icks/max-grip/
      I tried some of the red ones with that pattern, and I threw them away after about ten minutes. They do stay in place pretty well, but if one turns on you, you can't rotate it while you play. Not for me.
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I originally started with the red Jazz iii, then graduated to black, and went back and forth. But it was a happy day when I discovered the purple Tortex Jazz III, used those for years for the snappy tone and control!

After reading an interview with Dimebag I tried using a knife to rough them up a bit for grip, and that was awesome.

Have flirted with the OG Petrucci Jazz III, standard tortex, and Brain Cats Tongue picks for awhile, Ultex Jazz III XL is what I'm using now but have been thinking I should go back to the old purple mini Jazz III, complete with knife marks like more than a decade ago. There's something about the immediacy of those.

If I had to choose one, it would be the Tortex version

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
        • G&L Tribute Comanche
        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Carbon fiber jazz3 max-grips have a different tone than the nylon or stiffo.
          They have a clearer attack that works especially well for heavy muting and heavy thick gain.
          To me they sound like a slightly thinner pick than their actual thickness.

What is the thickness of the standard jazz3 series? (is it 1.3?)

What is the material/thickness of the gator grips?

Comment

I’ve been using the pitch black Tortex Jazz iii 1.14 picks for years. Although I swear theybused to be called “black gold” 15-some years ago... Before that were the purple tortex Jazz iii’s. I think I might still have one of those worn down sitting in a box somewhere.... I tried a plain old red jazz iii years ago because I’d heard so many people use them and I hated it. Don’t even remember why, it just didn’t feel right to me.

Giving the John Petrucci trinity picks a run right now to see if I want to replace my trusty
            Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Dunlop 477P205 JD Jazztones, Black, Pointed Tip, 6/Player's Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P5LVVM..._DlGMEbXYVDBZ9

Comment

From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                  Carbon fiber jazz3 max-grips have a different tone than the nylon or stiffo.
                  They have a clearer attack that works especially well for heavy muting and heavy thick gain.
                  To me they sound like a slightly thinner pick than their actual thickness.

What is the thickness of the standard jazz3 series? (is it 1.3?)

What is the material/thickness of the gator grips?

Comment

Give these 2 a shot:
                    Dunlop FLEX jazz iii .88 (for single-coiled guitars)
                    Dunlop Petrucci Trinity (plays so easily. Other picks in the ultex jazz iii line are good, but the tip on this one is my favorite...and there are 3 tips which help it to last longer.)

Comment

If I use a Jazz III it’s either the Ultex or Eric Johnson’s. I like the Ultex version a bit better.
                      I like using Jazz III’s for David Gilmour stuff but everything else it’s a Dunlop shell celluloid heavy or Tortex, usually yellow.

Comment

I really can't get used to different picks for different things. I bounce around so much that it wouldn't work.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                        X