banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walla Walla guitars "crystal" tops - resin or plexiglass or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walla Walla guitars "crystal" tops - resin or plexiglass or what?

Saw an ad for these guys recently: https://wallawallaguitars.com/produc...erick-crystal/

They sell basswood Tele copies for $2,800. Their gimmick is these tops, which can look like just about anything (to order) and can easily be replaced and interchanged.

I have no interest in buying a guitar from them but I am intrigued by the look and am considering copying the technique. Are the tops, which they refer to as "crystal," plexiglass with the images and objects glued to the back? Or some sort of poured epoxy? Anyone know what holds them in place it they aren't glued in?

Re: Walla Walla guitars "crystal" tops - resin or plexiglass or what?

Ask them.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

My guess is that it is acrylic, like in those 70s coffee tables and bars or the Live Edge trend that is popular now. These guitars are neat to look at, but I think that thick poly or whatever would be sticky.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        Ask them.
        I sent an email just now. I'm guessing they won't tell me but maybe they will?

Comment

They use the word "embedded" which makes me think it's something poured, rather than cut.

In short: that ish is DECOUPAGE.

So hit up your local Michael's and grab whatever formula of Modge Podge floats your boat.
          ---------------------------
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

They responded, sort of: the tops are glued to the body and not removable or interchangeable. So yeah, a poured resin of some sort.

I'm pretty sure their website somewhere says the tops ARE interchangeable but the whole website is a bit wonky.

I still think it's an interesting look.

Comment

Working...
            X