Peter Green Mod only using wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Green Mod only using wiring

I want to do the Peter Green mod to my Les Paul to get some Brian May style tones out of it, but if it’s possible, I’d like to do it without a push/pull or disassembling the pickup to flip the magnet. I’ve read somewhere that you can just swap the hot and ground connections from the pickup on the pot, but to my understanding that’s not how electronics work.
    Can anyone here give some advice? I have a four conductor pickup, if that helps at all. If it’s not possible, I’ll just do the mod with a push/pull, but if I can save the money it would be nice.

Re: Peter Green Mod only using wiring

No, that's precisely how electronics do work. Swapping hot and ground on 1 pickup will give you OOP in the middle position.
    The 4 conductor +bare is the perfect setup for this operation.

Comment

Yes, 2 conductor usually have one being shield, so not a good idea.
      Do on 4 cord pups only, so signal is separated from shield.

Comment

For Brian May tones you’d have to also put them in series when combined.

Comment

brian may used single coils as well so two buckers oop is going to be different, not to mention the construction of the guitars. oop can be a cool sound when you have independent volumes as on a lp. i would put it on a switch though since after the novelty wears off, you may not want it all the time

Comment

Yeah, 2 humbuckers in series is not really the Brian May tone at all. I don't think that sound would be anyone's tone, really.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My Strat can have the outside 2 pickups wired in series (stock, even) and I can see how people would like that.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have an OOP setting on my RG2
                but I did put it in series because in parallel it is very thin sounding

I think the original Tele wiring had both in series and out of phase as part of the standard from the factory
                I may be wrong

but with my RG if I select OOP in series and split the bridge pickup
                I get a nice tele chime
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

ummm... like original fender tele wiring? no. they had 1-neck pup with hardwired tone cap for a very dark setting 2-neck pup with tone control 3-bridge pup with tone control

oop on a guitar, lp for example, that has volumes for each pup can be cool. if you roll one volume back a bit, you get a distinct tone but it isnt as thin as with both pups full up. that is the only case that ive found oop useful for my playing. obviously others taste will be different

Comment

I wouldn't call wiring a pickup backwards a "mod".

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

oop on a guitar, lp for example, that has volumes for each pup can be cool. if you roll one volume back a bit, you get a distinct tone but it isnt as thin as with both pups full up. that is the only case that ive found oop useful for my playing. obviously others taste will be different
                      I might even suggest pointless unless having two volumes - to balance for sweet spot how they cancel each other a bit.
                      With single volume you can only balance with pickup height, once and for all, kind of.

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
                        I might even suggest pointless unless having two volumes - to balance for sweet spot how they cancel each other a bit.
                        With single volume you can only balance with pickup height, once and for all, kind of.
                        There is an alternative to 2 volume pots: trimpots.
                        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I can't for the life of me figure why anyone would do this as a "permanent" mod without a switch.

What is your objection to putting an a p/p pot to switch to OOP or back to normal? Just the cost? A p/p is not that expensive. In fact, I would put in 2 p/p pots...one for OOP and one for splitting both pups. However, you won't come very close to a Brian May tone without having single coils OOP and in series.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Ummm, no. Tele wiring was always in phase and parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                              Ummm, no. Tele wiring was always in phase and parallel.
                              so the 4 position Tele switch
                              traditionally does what in position 4?
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X