What are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these?

I was going through some of my parts and wanted to swap out the tone volume pot in my LP. It currently has a 250k and I wanted to put a 500k in it.
    I have 2 of these on hand. They both measure out at +\- 500k and both seem to be audio taper. But what the heck are the resistor and capacitor for?
    I have no idea what guitar they came out of and I sure don’t remember ever wiring them in...
    Can anyone tell me what they are and what they do in the circuit?

Re: What are these?

Search for "treble bleed mod".

Comment

Treble bleed. It passes some highs as you turn down the volume to compensate for the dulling effect the resistive loading has on the pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, treble bleed. The resistor and cap in parallel like that is a Duncan treble bleed. If they were in series it would be the Kinman style one.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Funny....I have had a treble bleed mod in a few guitars over the years but I’ve never seen that setup. It was always just a capacitor and not a resistor, if I remember correctly. Or maybe just the resistor and not the cap....
          In any case....thanks guys!!

Comment

The resistor adds in a degree of regulation of the treble added. Merely the cap only is a very 'artificial' method - it almost adds in more highs than there was in the full signal meaning the tone is skewed the other way. In fact its the same as a 'bright' switch or knob in an amp.
            The downside is that almost without fail, the resistor messes with the taper of the pot. I think the series resistor, and the parallel + series resistor version of the treble bleed are versions to try and keep the taper whilst maintaining the more natural retention of highs.

Comment

Yep- I've seen three different treble bleed setups: cap only, cap & resistor in parallel, and cap & resistor in series.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
              X