Nut question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut question

After buying my latest guitar I've jusr realized that I have no hands-on experience with non locking/nonFloyd type nuts. In some mysterious ways the factory strings are still on the guitar despite it being second hand (I know this because they feel lighter than the 10s I use on my other guitars and they are all flakes where I pick which rhymes perfectly with the 9-42 Elixir strings specified by the ESP product page).

The nut seems to be percetly cut for the current setup, so my question is: should I expect any problems/nutwork when going up a gauge or the difference will insignificant?

Click image for larger version

Name:	nut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	5853805

Re: Nut question

9-42 for a 7-string? 9-54 sounds more appropriate anyways the only way would be to fit those 10s in there and give it a try. If you feel the 10s tend to stick in their slots, give it some runs with 11s, this will work the holes a little bit, and then go back to 10s.

Comment

Yeah that's what I meant. Im drunk, sorry. Goins from 9s to 10s, thats less confsusing

Comment

I needed a new setup going from 10s to 11s with a wound third. No way to tell unless you try though.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i wouldnt think youd need to do anything to the nut but id assume a setup will be needed with the extra tension

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
            After buying my latest guitar I've jusr realized that I have no hands-on experience with non locking/nonFloyd type nuts.
            hehe I missed that! well suffice to say that difficulty-wise : Ibanez locking systems (major PITA) >> Floyd locking systems (PITA) >> non locking trems >> good old fixed bridge/non-locking nut. Believe me you won't have any problems to tame those.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i wouldnt think youd need to do anything to the nut but id assume a setup will be needed with the extra tension
              yeah thats expected. ive reallyno idea how i never had a non locking nut for almost 20 years. go figure. but thnks , its nice to hear that probably i wont have troubles with it. would hate to ruin thething, its such a nice guitar

Comment

Whenever you go up a size or more in strings there is a good possibility you'll need to do some filing of the nut slots or your strings will bind in the slots. Not only will this make it difficult to tune your guitar, but it won't stay in tune as you play. If you don't have the expertise to do it yourself you should take it to a competent tech to do it.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

My rule of thumb is that as long as you don't go so heavy that you get a wound G string you will only need a setup, but no nut work. At least if you lubricate the nut.

Comment

When I cut a nut, I always make the slots just a tiny bit wider than the intended string gauge. I.e.: if it's a 10 on the high E, I cut it to 11; if it's a 46 on the low E I cut it to 48 or 50. That way the strings don't bind but don't rattle either.

My point is: if it's a properly cut nut, you'll likely have to widen the slots just a bit if you take strings with a bigger gauge.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll leave it be then until this virus situation goes away and then most probably it'll end up in the shop where I take my guitars for the jobs that are beyond my level of knowledge. He is a very popular builder and tech and I guess the shortened opening hours and the more free time the people have due to the quarantine made his schedule even busier. At least I can use the guitar until then. Or maybe change strings, see what happens and then decide. I might get lucky and maybe if I leave the Evertune in the "ignore" setup, it may save me from the nutwork...

@Orpheo: ever since you posted a comparison in a thread about properly and inproperly nuts, I keep looking for the way you do it and this one seems to fit the bill: strings not sitting deep, slots deep enough to hold the strings but nothing more.
                      @Doc: Good to "hear your voice" too, you've been silent lately and I started to wonder what could be up with that ..khmm... "less young" lad from the forum in this current situation!
                      Last edited by nexion218; 04-21-2020, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll leave it be then until this virus situation goes away and then most probably it'll end up in the shop where I take my guitars for the jobs that are beyond my level of knowledge. He is a very popular builder and tech and I guess the shortened opening hours and the more free time the people have due to the quarantine made his schedule even busier. At least I can use the guitar until then. Or maybe change strings, see what happens and then decide. I might get lucky and maybe if I leave the Evertune in the "ignore" setup, it may save me from the nutwork...

@Orpheo: ever since you posted a comparison in a thread about properly and inproperly nuts, I keep looking for the way you do it and this one seems to fit the bill: strings not sitting deep, slots deep enough to hold the strings but nothing more.
                        @Doc: Good to "hear your voice" too, you've been silent lately and I started to wonder what could be up with that ..khmm... "less young" lad from the forum in this current situation!
                        I'm glad to hear you heed my warnings! Yes, this nut seems to be as I would want a nut to be

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                          My rule of thumb is that as long as you don't go so heavy that you get a wound G string you will only need a setup, but no nut work. At least if you lubricate the nut.
                          Your "Rule of Thumb" needs to be modified.

If this is truly the way you've been doing things, you don't know what you're missing in terms of tuning ease and staying in tune.

A really good nut job makes a world of difference.

Comment

Hey, thanks for your concern, I appreciate it.

Yes, I'm ok. Just very busy packing, cleaning, repairing, painting, etc. We are preparing to sell our current house and move.

Comment

Working...
                            X