Any PRS SE love among us ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any PRS SE love among us ?

When folks asks for a gig'able HH pro-like guitar, in the sub $800.00 region, we are quick to mention Epiphone & Squire.
    Are there any PRS SE fans / owners here ?
    If so, feel free to post an image or two of your SE.
    Is it just me, or is the current production SE series GREAT value for money with superb build quality ?

Here is my Santana SE.
    After this whole lock down, i will get it back from a local luthier.
    Can not wait.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fb old 193SD CoVER.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	5853811
    Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz II; 04-24-2020, 03:01 AM. Reason: . . . typos.
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Re: Any PRS SE love among us ?

I have a tobacco sunburst with the P-90's and hardtail, and a Whale Blue SE with the whammy. Would LOVE to get a Santana - maybe yellow or orange.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I have three SE Singlecuts. Great guitars now that I put Duncan pickups in them all.

I have Seth Lovers in one.

59's with a roughcast A3 and A2 magnet swap in another.

And Antiquitys in my favorite.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Great guitars, IMO. I had a SE Singlecut Korina some years back. Didn't want to let it go but had to. After using the stock pickups for a while I replaced them with DiMarzio Air Classics and also replaced the nut with a bone nut. That thing sounded and played great.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          Great guitars, IMO. I had a SE Singlecut Korina some years back. Didn't want to let it go but had to. After using the stock pickups for a while I replaced them with DiMarzio Air Classics and also replaced the nut with a bone nut. That thing sounded and played great.
          Yes. The PRS SE's I've owned all needed minor fretwork, nut work and set up work, and better pickups to sound their best.

But they're worth it!

When you're done you'll have a beautiful and professional quality guitar for not much money.
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 04-20-2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I hear good things, but haven't really spent time with them. I think I would prefer them over a MIM Fender, and Epi, or most lower-end Ibanezes, though.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

These days I would probably still pick an Epi Les Paul over a PRS SE for the simple fact of the neck profile. The PRS Wide Flat isn't as comfortable in my hand as the Epi Les Paul profiles are.
              Last edited by ErikH; 04-20-2020, 11:34 AM.

Comment

The SE's I have been around are not bad at all and MUCH better guitars than most Squire or Epi's are. Used they can be a really good bang for the $ but new can buy a used Kiesel Carvin for about the same $. I prefer the Kiesel Carvins even to the USA PRS guitars personally( and yes I own BOTH brands!). Several factors better tops and finishes by FAR on the higher end Kiesel/Carvin's, better fretwork and most newer Kiesel Carvins have stainless frets ( will never buy another higher end guitar without them ) plus I just like the Kiesel/Carvin necks better.
                Last edited by Ascension; 04-20-2020, 11:15 AM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

i have an older se and i like it a lot. its light and has a nice neck. its not a new nut and fret job as well as replacement pups but i got it cheap and i really like it. it has prails with triple shots in there now but i have a set of sns thats going in when i find time

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                    The SE's I have been around are not bad at all. Used they can be a pretty good bang for the $ but new can buy a used Kiesel Carvin for about the same $. I prefer the Kiesel Carvins to the USA PRS guitars personally( and yes I own BOTH brands!). Several factors better tops and finishes by FAR on the higher end Kiesel/Carvin's, better fretwork and most newer Kiesel Carvins have stainless frets ( will never buy another higher end guitar without them ) plus I just like the Kiesel/Carvin necks better.
                    I bought mine used for about $300 each. Put new pickups in each for an additional $200 - 300. They're actually much prettier than they appear in this photo.

The necks are not wide flat. They remind me of a 1960 or 61 Gibson which I like a lot.
                    Last edited by Lewguitar; 04-20-2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                      I bought mine used for about $300 each. Put new pickups in each for an additional $200 - 300. They're actually much prettier than they appear in this photo.

The necks are not wide flat. They remind me of a 1960 or 61 Gibson which I like a lot.
                      And that's exactly what I'm talking about! Those are GREAT deals used and very nice guitars!
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I was GASing for one a few years ago, but managed to avoid pulling the trigger somehow.

One of my bandmates had a trans black SE Custom 22 and it was surprisingly good. Played great, sounded great, had lots of sustain, and stayed in tune really well even with some abuse of the trem. Not sure which tremolo design they use on the SE models but I dug it.

Compared to other import brands, you can't go wrong, they are excellent value and stack up well or better against their peers. Fit and finish make them feel much more expensive.

He got rid of it when he traded his Mesa Triple Crown 50 head for a USA Custom 22 in a limited run finish, otherwise would have kept it. The SOB really lucked out!

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                        • G&L Tribute Comanche
                        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

As petty as it sounds, the song 'Smooth' turned me off ever wanting one. Not just the song, but those "quilted tops" look dumb.

Comment

yeah but smooth was a $10k+ prs, not an se

Comment

My SE Nick Catanese:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3529.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5818853

As much as I love it, there is also some stuff I don't like about it. First, stock, the tuners were utter garbage, the nut was cut for ****ing 9's and nothing higher, and the TonePros bridge is such a PITA to adjust the action on, and the posts are very easily marred. I replaced the tuners with Grover lockers, the nut with Graphtech, and I learned to live with the bridge.

It's a pretty bright guitar with lots of snap and a tight, fast, and not overly bloated low-end, which is weird considering it's a thick mahogany body and neck. Maybe it's the ebony board? 25" scale? Not complaining though. It sustains and resonates very well, it's just kind of unexpectedly bright. TBH, all other PRS SE's I've owned have been brighter than normal. Not that it's bad, but that seems to be their sonic signature.

I'm not huge on the neck shape. It's kinda baseball bat-y. Very round and thick (it's the Wide Fat profile) and with a round 10" radius fretboard. I don't think the neck shape is too bad, actually, but the 10"... yeah... I'd prefer it if were 12", TBH. The action was spot on, though. Perfectly level frets even without any work put on it, gotta give them that.

I also used to have a Korina SE Singlecut which was so so (very thin-sounding), and an SE Mushok baritone which was BRILLIANT, and I wish I still had it. The Mushok was pretty bright too, but that definitely worked with the low tuning.

In general, I wouldn't say PRS SE's are for me. They used to be very bang-for-the-buck at some point, but nowadays, they're not really cheap and most come with no-name pickups, so-so tuners, and cheap nuts. They don't make them in the World factory in Korea anymore, even. So I don't know. I'd like a Torero or a Holcomb at some point, but honestly, they're not the first guitars I'd look into. At least not for what I play.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-20-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X