Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any PRS SE love among us ?

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
    I bought mine used for about $300 each. Put new pickups in each for an additional $200 - 300. They're actually much prettier than they appear in this photo.

The necks are not wide flat. They remind me of a 1960 or 61 Gibson which I like a lot.
    Got my Santana SE for $230.00.
    Add X-amount for the Seth Lover set & Graphtec Saddle Savers + $130.00 for the luthier cost = Pro quality instrument (i hope)

Once i get it after this whole lock down thing.
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      My SE Nick Catanese:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104366[/ATTACH]

As much as I love it, there is also some stuff I don't like about it. First, stock, the tuners were utter garbage, the nut was cut for ****ing 9's and nothing higher, and the TonePros bridge is such a PITA to adjust the action on, and the posts are very easily marred. I replaced the tuners with Grover lockers, the nut with Graphtech, and I learned to live with the bridge.

It's a pretty bright guitar with lots of snap and a tight, fast, and not overly bloated low-end, which is weird considering it's a thick mahogany body and neck. Maybe it's the ebony board? 25" scale? Not complaining though. It sustains and resonates very well, it's just kind of unexpectedly bright. TBH, all other PRS SE's I've owned have been brighter than normal. Not that it's bad, but that seems to be their sonic signature.

I'm not huge on the neck shape. It's kinda baseball bat-y. Very round and thick (it's the Wide Fat profile) and with a round 10" radius fretboard. I don't think the neck shape is too bad, actually, but the 10"... yeah... I'd prefer it if were 12", TBH. The action was spot on, though. Perfectly level frets even without any work put on it, gotta give them that.

I also used to have a Korina SE Singlecut which was so so (very thin-sounding), and an SE Mushok baritone which was BRILLIANT, and I wish I still had it. The Mushok was pretty bright too, but that definitely worked with the low tuning.

In general, I wouldn't say PRS SE's are for me. They used to be very bang-for-the-buck at some point, but nowadays, they're not really cheap and most come with no-name pickups, so-so tuners, and cheap nuts. They don't make them in the World factory in Korea anymore, even. So I don't know. I'd like a Torero or a Holcomb at some point, but honestly, they're not the first guitars I'd look into. At least not for what I play.
      Great info - thank you very much !

So . . . what do you prefer to play ? (style/genre wise)

Comment

Originally posted by 64 Tele View Post
        I've got three SE's.
        SE Custom 24 (replaced pickups with SD Seth Lover set)
        SE Custom 22 semi hollow (again replaced with SD Seth Lover set)
        SE 245 (kept the stock pickups which are actually quite nice)
        The SE's are a real bargain (even with a pickup swap)
        Disclaimer.....I do also have a Core Custom 24, but still get plenty of playing time with the SE's.
        Why did you go with the Seth Lover set ? What do you like about it, if i may ask ?

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
          Got my Santana SE for $230.00.
          Add X-amount for the Seth Lover set & Graphtec Saddle Savers + $130.00 for the luthier cost = Pro quality instrument (i hope)

Once i get it after this whole lock down thing.
          Should be. If it already plays well and has a natural resonance that you like you should have a pro ax when you're done.

I have Seth Lovers in one of my SE Singlecuts. I uncovered mine and found a set of double creams.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I had a 30th Anniversary Custom. Unusual model with a bound ebony fretboard.
            Great guitar, the only mod it had was a core series nut for better tuning stability.
            Was quite happy with it, only traded it because I had the chance to upgrade to a core 25th Anniversary, same color.

I consider SEs in general to be good guitars, not just "good at the price."
            Of course they do offer excellent bang for the buck too.

My SE 30th Anni

notice the anniversary-style swirled birds

Traded it last Fall toward this core 25th Anni Custom 22.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              Should be. If it already plays well and has a natural resonance that you like you should have a pro ax when you're done.

I have Seth Lovers in one of my SE Singlecuts. I uncovered mine and found a set of double creams.
              An image from the luthier, for the time being :

Click image for larger version

Name:	johan prs se 12 klaar 3714752512_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	5818931

Comment

that looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
                  Why did you go with the Seth Lover set ? What do you like about it, if i may ask ?
                  What I didn't like about the stock pickups (SE Custom 24) was how "hot" they were.
                  I primarily was a single coil player (Fenders) for 35+ years. The Seth Lovers (by description) were low output/"vintage" type humbuckers.
                  They are warm, yet articulate. I probably could have lived with the stock pickups in the SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow, but decided to go with
                  another set of the Seth Lovers. The other SD's I looked at were Antiquity's, but am quite satisfied with the Seth's.
                  I have never understood the really high output/"hot" humbucker concept.....

Comment

I love mine. I did replace the pickups in the Tremonti with a Jazz/JB set. The stock P90s in the red one sound great so I didn't mess with that one.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	95143502_2579941645443972_1985829668913152000_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	5818944

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      that looks great!
                      Thank you very much Jeremy.
                      Can not wait to get the guitar back.

Comment

Originally posted by 64 Tele View Post
                        What I didn't like about the stock pickups (SE Custom 24) was how "hot" they were.
                        I primarily was a single coil player (Fenders) for 35+ years. The Seth Lovers (by description) were low output/"vintage" type humbuckers.
                        They are warm, yet articulate. I probably could have lived with the stock pickups in the SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow, but decided to go with
                        another set of the Seth Lovers. The other SD's I looked at were Antiquity's, but am quite satisfied with the Seth's.
                        I have never understood the really high output/"hot" humbucker concept.....
                        Thanks for the reply

Comment

i have 2 = 2010 SANTANA SE 22 fret orange veneer top 2018 -Santana Se 24 fret amber/yellow like them both very much, I got them for the shorter 24 1/2 '' scale due to fret hand injury , I have as 2000 core Prs custom that I don't play & a 2010 Mira anniversary that I don't play either.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by rammer69; 05-01-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Absolute killer guitars. SE's are good to go as is and one of the best bang for the bucks out there.

Comment

Working...
                            X