The stuff in furniture polish is exactly the same stuff
    Just not marketed to superstitious guitar players

It used the same plant based mineral oils as anyone else's

I give up you believe whatever Hoodoo you want
    You win
    You're the smartest internet guy I know

This is the way to go.

Works on tires too.

... and yes im the smartest guy you will ever know.

Comment

Re: Rosewood board conditioning

totally different thing
      on to the ignore list you go
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I used Formby's for decades without any problems. Switched to Fret Dr about ten years ago. Not because the Formby's wasn't doing well for me; I just wanted to avoid the mineral oil.

As mentioned above - it's seldom, if ever, that rosewood really needs oil.

Most of my rosewood boards get bore oil every other year or thereabouts, and Feed N Wax at maybe six year intervals.

My Brazilian boards are oilier/waxier and they get bore oil about once every five years.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Back in the early 80's I had a country player bring in his Tele, the frets were falling out. He was wiping the rosewood fretboard down with motor oil. The thing reeked, as all the oil was going rancid. I could pull out the remaining frets with my fingernails, and there was oil pooled down in the slots. The fretboard had gotten punky, and I ended up cleaning it all off with a putty knife. The maple neck was stained with oil, so I started bathing it in lacquer thinner several times a day. After a week I didn't see any more oil on the paper towels I would set it on. I ordered a new fretted fingerboard from Fender (I was an authorized tech) and glued it back on before refinishing the neck and slipping on a decal. Last time I saw the guy he was still playing it.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Lately I've been using Guitar Honey

I like F-One but it leaves a finish on the board so I got away from it unless the board is really beat
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

My two Carvin tung-oil finishs get the Old English lemon oil treatments from head to toe about once a year,...... body. neck, and ebony board. (they are kept at near ideal conditions year round and usually cased)
              I know ebony doesn't have to be oiled, but it looks better IMO.

With rosewood it makes even more difference cosmetically, so i really try harder to not miss the yearly treatment.
              Many years ago I got the Dunlop 01/02 box with the tiny bottles. I use the 02 oil on most of my small collection, except for the carvins.
              I still have half a bottle of the cleaner (only used on a few used guitar purchases), and 1/3 bottle of the 02 oil. That's after almost a decade!

Comment

old english is the other one I was trying to think of
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                  I use that Kysers Dr Stringfellows Lem-Oil stuff. Seems to work great!

Smells good!

I don't give a crap what's in it either!

Ha ha
                  This does work well. I use it, too. The string cleaner is good stuff, too...it used to come with a fuzzy top to wipe directly on the strings, but now you spray it on a rag and wipe it on the strings.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

How good is the Jim Dunlop Ultimate Lemon Oil?

Comment

Originally posted by kramer.geetar View Post
                      How good is the Jim Dunlop Ultimate Lemon Oil?
                      It is good, too. A bottle will last a lifetime. I have one that I use. It smells good, but can get your hands and other parts of the guitar feeling greasy (it IS oil, though probably no lemons involved).

Comment

I'm using Dunlop Lemon oil on my rosewood electrics. On my Martin D28 I'm not using anything as even the Martin care guide states that nothing except a dry cloth should be used.

Regarding the products for cleaning guitar, sometime in 1999 I paid (at the time for me) a hefty sum for a Fender Guitar Polish. One day my mom decided to clean my room and I walked in and the whole room smelled like my expensive Guitar Polish. I went to her all angry "explaining" that it was my thing for cleaning guitars before she pointed me to a bottle of $1.5 spray for cleaning the furniture called Legno Pulito. I've been using it ever since on my poly guitars, while the nitro ones I clean with Meguiar.

Comment

Originally posted by znanjeiimanje View Post
                          I'm using Dunlop Lemon oil on my rosewood electrics. On my Martin D28 I'm not using anything as even the Martin care guide states that nothing except a dry cloth should be used.

Regarding the products for cleaning guitar, sometime in 1999 I paid (at the time for me) a hefty sum for a Fender Guitar Polish. One day my mom decided to clean my room and I walked in and the whole room smelled like my expensive Guitar Polish. I went to her all angry "explaining" that it was my thing for cleaning guitars before she pointed me to a bottle of $1.5 spray for cleaning the furniture called Legno Pulito. I've been using it ever since on my poly guitars, while the nitro ones I clean with Meguiar.
                          If you wash your hands beforehand, apparently you shouldn’t need an oil for the rosewood if it’s good quality and your hands will add oil to it natural.
                          I’m not sure if this is true, but the info regarding your Martin is interesting. I do know PRS on their site they state about once a year if needed.

Comment

Okay, what do we see so far?
                            Some people rely on chemical products based on petroleum (this includes some lemon scented products, too)
                            Some people rely on natural oils kept with perservatives from getting rancid after some weeks and thinned with water.
                            Some use Fret Doctor.
                            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Why don't you try rosewood oil? I got a bottle at GNC, the nutrition store, think it was like $5...

Comment

Most rosewood oil (if it is actually rosewood oil) is super concentrated for scent, and might make your house smell like that for weeks. Hopefully, you like the way it smells.

Comment

Working...
                                X