banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse body Strat - how about that - Fender or other - is this why Hendrix did it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reverse body Strat - how about that - Fender or other - is this why Hendrix did i

For me, a left-handed Strat would place the knobs under my forearm. Not just inconvenient, but also uncomfortable.
    To make it work I think I'd have to wear the guitar way up high.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Re: Reverse body Strat - how about that - Fender or other - is this why Hendrix did i

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      I fix this on my Strats by moving the volume to neck tone spot and using what was formerly the middle pickup tone control for various other things.
      Same. I do this on all my strats. I don't use tones except for my jazz strat. My favorite set up is just a volume and blender. Or a volume and master spin a split.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Hendrix did it because he was lefty and right handed guitars were (and still are) much easier to find.
        A friend of mine is left-handed and asked me if she should learn left-handed or right-handed. I told her that, despite left-handed guitars being around, she'd be MUCH better off in the long-run learning right-handed anyway. In the long run, she'll be much better off in finding guitars. Another friend of mine is left-handed, but still plays his guitar right-handed for the same reason.

Comment

I am left handed and learned right handed. No regrets there, at all.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’m right handed and bought a ‘66 left handed Strat but play it right. Within the first 30 minutes of playing a strat upside down I realized part of why Hendrix sounded like he did. I was ever slamming the switch to the neck pickup when I strummed and to avoid accidentally knocking the volume and tones under my arm, I found myself playing up towards the neck. Not being able to rest my arm on the guitar totally changed my style. I was muting strings with my left hand instead of my right and slamming the strings imprecisely during leads with my right hand. It got funky real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              I hate where the volume is on a Strat. I’m also hitting it.

What I do is remove the first tone control and put the volume in that hole. Then rewire the remaining tone control as a master tone. Added benefit is now you have a tone control for the bridge pickup.
              I wonder if there are double pots on the same axis, or as some I know I had on some car radio, that you push to reach the other pot?
              Double type I have both on pedals, one knob below and a top one.

It would totally work I think fixing a strat like that.

Other looks does not matter - but having tone 1 and tone 2 in one spot - and volume moved and just plug old volume hole.

I have to look into that....

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
                A friend of mine is left-handed and asked me if she should learn left-handed or right-handed. I told her that, despite left-handed guitars being around, she'd be MUCH better off in the long-run learning right-handed anyway. In the long run, she'll be much better off in finding guitars. Another friend of mine is left-handed, but still plays his guitar right-handed for the same reason.
                Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I am left handed and learned right handed. No regrets there, at all.
                Yup, this is what I do as well. I've always thought that guitar was actually "backwards" with handedness. It made sense to have your more dexterous hand pick the strings back when classical guitars were all we had, but the way i see it playing styles have evolved to favor the opposite since then.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
                  I wonder if there are double pots on the same axis, or as some I know I had on some car radio, that you push to reach the other pot?
                  Double type I have both on pedals, one knob below and a top one.

It would totally work I think fixing a strat like that.

Other looks does not matter - but having tone 1 and tone 2 in one spot - and volume moved and just plug old volume hole.

I have to look into that....
                  Hejsan Larioso

Those do exist without doubt.
                  Just an example (they come in different variants):
                  Buy CTS dual concentric 500K audio taper pots and other guitar electronic parts at GuitarElectronics.com. Huge selection, low prices and quantity discounts.

Once installed one of these as a knob:
                  Chrome stacked metal dome knob set (top and bottom) for guitar & bass. Fits CTS brand stacked concentric pots. Set screw mounting.

Problem solved!
                  "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    Unbelievable!!
                    Now this is a perfect example of why NOT to trust the media!!
                    Hilarious
                    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
                      Hejsan Larioso

Those do exist without doubt.
                      Just an example (they come in different variants):
                      Buy CTS dual concentric 500K audio taper pots and other guitar electronic parts at GuitarElectronics.com. Huge selection, low prices and quantity discounts.

Once installed one of these as a knob:
                      Chrome stacked metal dome knob set (top and bottom) for guitar & bass. Fits CTS brand stacked concentric pots. Set screw mounting.

Problem solved!
                      That's perfect, I even find exactly those, knobs and everything, locally here in sweden.

Comment

Hendrix did it because he was lefty and right handed guitars were (and still are) much easier to find.

I fix this on my Strats by moving the volume to neck tone spot and using what was formerly the middle pickup tone control for various other things.
                        Jimi played a right handed strat because he preferred the knob on the top
                        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
                          Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                          Jimi played a right handed strat because he preferred the knob on the top
                          Well given that he did it to many acoustic guitars, his first guitar among them, I doubt that to be the case.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                          X