banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticky guitars due to sweat: Any tricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky guitars due to sweat: Any tricks?

Hi all,

I love my Heritage. Real nitro finish, so with sweat the color changes a bit (where I touch the body becomes milky)... But the finish gets slicker, faster you know. So when I play it, it's like it becomes easier to play... This is my backup guitar.

My gigging guitar is a McCarty and has that fancy poly finish. I love the guitar, the way it responds, the tones I get from my Brobucker in the bridge and PG in the neck. But, with sweat it becomes sticky. And it's irritating.

Is there a trick? Like applying some paste/wax or something?

Thanks in advance.

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Re: Sticky guitars due to sweat: Any tricks?

I had a friend who sweat a ton and swore by waxing his guitars for this reason. Just used regular car wax (I think he used maguire's gold something or other wax), and never had any problems that I'm aware of.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I use a forearm-sized sweat band on my right forearm. Any outdoor show in Florida produces a lot of sweat, and the guitar gets to be a sticky mess.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I sweat like a fountain. I used Martin guitar polish on my poly guitars. I imagine car wax would work as well. They get slippery when wet!

Comment

Isn't that why many make back of neck satin - not to be so sticky for hands.
          Sanding off laquer, kind of, as I understood it.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I had a friend who sweat a ton and swore by waxing his guitars for this reason. Just used regular car wax (I think he used maguire's gold something or other wax), and never had any problems that I'm aware of.
            Cool. Thanks!

I've tried some car wax I had, and it became gooish paste mixed with the sweat on the body of the guitar. And leaving the guitar even for 5 min and coming back, made it more sticky. I guess I gotta try with some other brands, finer waxes.

B
            Last edited by dr.barlo; 05-03-2020, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I use a forearm-sized sweat band on my right forearm. Any outdoor show in Florida produces a lot of sweat, and the guitar gets to be a sticky mess.
              That's what I've used to do as well... But feel like a tennis player

Joking aside, it's cool and it works. It's just that under sweat and all my wrist becomes very itchy, so itchy that I gotta take it off.

Thanks for the suggestion.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                I sweat like a fountain. I used Martin guitar polish on my poly guitars. I imagine car wax would work as well. They get slippery when wet!
                Thanks.

Will be giving this a try. I've got Gibson's guitar polish, so it'll be worth a try!

B

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
                  Isn't that why many make back of neck satin - not to be so sticky for hands.
                  Sanding off laquer, kind of, as I understood it.
                  It's not about the neck. The neck is ok. My hands, my palm doesn't sweat. It's the forearm that becomes sticky.

B

Comment

It's not about the neck. The neck is ok. My hands, my palm doesn't sweat. It's the forearm that becomes sticky.
                    Back in the 80's I played in a punk/funk band (Fishbone, Bad Brains, RHCP, etc.) and we did a ton of outdoor gigs in the summer. My forearm was sticking to the bass, so I cut the toe out of a black cotton crew sock, and wore it on my arm. It went from my wrist to just above my elbow. No more sticking, and the audience thought it looked cool.

As for cleaning up the guitar, I've found BOSS guitar detailer will take off that nasty haze very well.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      Back in the 80's I played in a punk/funk band (Fishbone, Bad Brains, RHCP, etc.) and we did a ton of outdoor gigs in the summer. My forearm was sticking to the bass, so I cut the toe out of a black cotton crew sock, and wore it on my arm. It went from my wrist to just above my elbow. No more sticking, and the audience thought it looked cool.

As for cleaning up the guitar, I've found BOSS guitar detailer will take off that nasty haze very well.
                      I wear a spandex compression sleeve, works pretty well

Comment

You have to get the guitar really clean before you wax it with anything! Otherwise you are just adding more gunk.

Comment

Long sleeves. Sports equipment retailers have cool-tech versions for summer.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                            I wear a spandex compression sleeve, works pretty well
                            Where do you get those?
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ask any stripper where she gets her stage clothing...
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X