Surf rock guitar: budget project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf rock guitar: budget project

I have a lot of relatively difficult study, practice and composition homework and I like to take a break from that by playing something that's just good fun. For now that's surf rock. I'm also quite taken with the Sahara sound, especially Mdou Moctar. But I don't have the right kind of guitar. I've never had a strat-type guitar and I don't know much about them.

The project concept is to buy a cheap guitar mail order from a retailer that will accept it back if I don't like how it feels/plays. If I'm happy with it then I'll put in nice SD puckups.

Requirements: low cost, modern neck (e.g. 12" radius), trem.

Q1: Is it practical to convert an HSS guitar to SSS? There are many more options if so.

Q2: To get that well-known strat bridge pickup sound, does the pup need to be mounted on a pickguard or would mounting it in the guitar body work as well? For example, would Yamaha PAC112V make a less suitable platform than a PAC112J.

Re: Surf rock guitar: budget project

1 - Converting HSS to SSS should work . . . you'll need a new pickguard though, and you might need to chisel a small amount of wood depending on how the cavity was routed (I needed to do this with my Charvel So Cal to put in a strat bridge pickup.

2 - The pickup makes the sound. How it's mounted to the guitar makes somewhere between very little and no difference at all.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

That sounds like a fun project. You would just need a new pickguard with the right sized hole in it. The pickup's location has a lot more to do with the sound than how it is mounted in the guitar. Do you have ideas of what brand you want? What's your budget? Fender-type guitars can be had at many price points, and what they skimp on the most is the hardware.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, the world does not want for cheap Strats. Or mid-priced Strats. Or expensive Strats.

If there were such a thing as a "standard" electric guitar, it would be an SSS Strat.

The world is your Strat-shaped oyster. Bob is your Strat-playing uncle.
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I would budget for locking tuners. What are you using for an amp and reverb?

Comment

Well this is an easy one to think out isn't it?

3 SSL-1s (reverse bridge slant optional), Dick Dale wiring, synchronized tremolo, and heavy bass strings. Or at least that's how I did mine way back when I had one.

What do you plan to do to it?
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Thanks so much for the excellent info. This is really great.

I had talked myself into some theory in which the pickguard was the top of an acoustic box, vibration of which affects the pickups in a way that's a necessary part of how the strat gets its sound. Why else would the ugly pickguard be standard on all SSS guitars?, I reasoned. I'm pleased to put this silly speculation out of its misery.

And this means that the guitar I'd like to use, a Yamaha Pacifica, which has the bridge humbucker mounted in the body rather than in the pickguard, might be even easier to convert than an HSS guitar with the H in the pickguard. Use a rout adapter, maybe with a reverse slant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ymh_612viifm_ib.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	5819023

I am very much tempted to treat myself to a Pacifica 612VIIFM. It has very nice components and the two SC pups are probably what I would upgrade a budget guitar to. And I agree with St_Genesius that locking tuners are a real boon.

For reverb I use EHX Oceans 11. It's tank is wonderful. For a surf tone I have time = 1 o'clock, tone = 2 o'clock, 16.75 inch springs and preamp drive = 11 o'clock.

For amp, for the time being, I have a cheap multi FX (Zoom G1 FOUR) with a program of my own usign RC boost, Hiwatt 100 amp, Fender Bassman cab, and tremolo. It's pretty good. I really worked hard on using its Fender amp models but didn't like them. This unit will be replaced in due course with something better, probably one of the Headrush boards.

Chistopher, that info is great. Thanks! I hadn't thought about string guage but it makes total sense when you think of his playing style. And Slinky's weren't a thing yet in 1960. I recall an interview with Hank Marvin in which he explained that a key skill was his ability to play the crazy heavy strings that were all you could get back then.

What do I plan to do to it? You mean hardware and wiring mods? That will have to wait until I get the guitar but the PAC612VIIFM has two SSL-1 pups so one obvious possibility would be to replace the bridge HB with another of SSL-1.

Comment

The Yamaha Pacifica is one hell of a guitar, and a really great platform to mod. The only issue might be finding a different pickguard if you want to change the neck pickup. That is a great color, too!
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I prefer the more cowboy/desert meets surf tone of a DeArmond pickup personally -But a Yamaha Pacifica is about as powerful of a Strat platform for the money that you can buy...

so good for so little.

Post some videos with what you end up doing.... gotta hear your surf tonez
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

For the best Surf Rock tone I'd go with a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar. The Dick Dale strat tone is not my thing.

Got a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster new for €200. Swapped the stock Duncan Designed for a Duncan Vintage Jazzmaster set.
                    Surf tone for days, and cheap.
                    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

There’s a Humbucker to angled Strat single conversion plate in existence. Just buy an SSL1 bridge and pop it in and done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        The Yamaha Pacifica is one hell of a guitar, and a really great platform to mod. The only issue might be finding a different pickguard if you want to change the neck pickup. That is a great color, too!
                        +1

I've liked the Pacificas that I've played, they've all been pretty consistently solid guitars.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

hmm
                          I know that the Squire and Fender replacement pickguards are common

how common are the Pacifica pickguards

are they interchangeable with the Fender variants?
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                            I prefer the more cowboy/desert meets surf tone of a DeArmond pickup personally -But a Yamaha Pacifica is about as powerful of a Strat platform for the money that you can buy...

so good for so little.

Post some videos with what you end up doing.... gotta hear your surf tonez
                            That's another good pickup option for the OP, a GFS Surf 90 HB sized Dynasonic
                            sigpic
                            Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              hmm
                              I know that the Squire and Fender replacement pickguards are common

how common are the Pacifica pickguards

are they interchangeable with the Fender variants?
                              Afaict, there are two kinds of pickguards on the Pacifica HSS guitars.

1. The lowest cost models (012 and 112J) have a full-size strat-like pickguard that goes all the way to the bridge. All three pups are mounted on the pickguard.

2. The remaining models (112V, 212V and 612VII) have a smaller pickguard on which the middle and neck SC pups are mounted. The bridge humbucker is mounted on the guitar body as on a Les Paul and the pickguard is cut to surround the humbucker mount.

So I think that if I choose one of the Type 2 Pacificas, I can leave the pickguard as it comes and put an SSL-1 in a single-coil conversion ring where the humbucker was.

Comment

Working...
                              X