Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Surf rock guitar: budget project

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
    That's another good pickup option for the OP, a GFS Surf 90 HB sized Dynasonic
    That looks pretty interesting. I gotta find some tone samples.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      There’s a Humbucker to angled Strat single conversion plate in existence. Just buy an SSL1 bridge and pop it in and done.
      That's my take too, at least for the 612, 212V and 112V guitars, if not the 112J and 012.

Allparts has an adapter ring.
      Last edited by thefsb; 05-07-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        I prefer the more cowboy/desert meets surf tone of a DeArmond pickup personally -But a Yamaha Pacifica is about as powerful of a Strat platform for the money that you can buy...

so good for so little.

Post some videos with what you end up doing.... gotta hear your surf tonez
        Will do. In the mean time, here's the surf-rock song I wrote for my homework this week. The assignment was to choose a mode of the melodic minor scale and write a melody on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	on34nd0c.png
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	5819030

I used this drum part https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNY43Xlp1Y

Tab is for 8 string. Ignore the bottom two lines to get standard tuning.

Chords for the rhythm part are G and F, then Dm and Cm. For a nice Les Paul effect, glisando the Am7b5 at the end up to the 19th fret.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
          For the best Surf Rock tone I'd go with a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar. The Dick Dale strat tone is not my thing.
          Can you name or link some songs with the kind of tone you like best?

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            hmm
            I know that the Squire and Fender replacement pickguards are common

how common are the Pacifica pickguards

are they interchangeable with the Fender variants?
            Nope. Actually, I'd have to search to see if someone makes them. I am sure someone does, but they may have to custom-make it. The Pacificas don't quote have the aftermarket infrastructure as Fender...but it should.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by thefsb View Post
              Can you name or link some songs with the kind of tone you like best?
              Early Ventures like "Walk Don't Run" is Jazzmaster (the Jangly Crunchier tone) and a Strat (the more deep bluesy tone)

Mid 60s is Mosrite signature guitars which are sort of deeper sounding

then they returned to Fenders at the end of the 60s.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Early Ventures like "Walk Don't Run" is Jazzmaster (the Jangly Crunchier tone) and a Strat (the more deep bluesy tone)

Mid 60s is Mosrite signature guitars which are sort of deeper sounding

then they returned to Fenders at the end of the 60s.
                Yeah, but the influence he listed, Mdou Moctar, almost exclusively plays Strats.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  Yeah, but the influence he listed, Mdou Moctar, almost exclusively plays Strats.
                  Understood, I was just giving a classic surf tone reference point -Listening to the 2 phases of the Ventures is an easy way to get to know 3 of the 4 most beloved Surf classic tones -the 4th being a Gretsch with Filtertrons.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Understood, I was just giving a classic surf tone reference point -Listening to the 2 phases of the Ventures is an easy way to get to know 3 of the 4 most beloved Surf classic tones -the 4th being a Gretsch with Filtertrons.
                    Yeah, I'll be going down the strat road with this project. But I still want to listen to the other sounds. Part of the education.

Comment

Arguably the best Surf Rock quitar for $400.00, if you need to buy new :

Get the guaranteed best price on Solid Body Electric Guitars like the Squier Classic Vibe '60s Jazzmaster Electric Guitar at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of...
                      Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

MY fav Surf Rock band.
                        They are quit delightful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ramm-surf 8e9ba.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	5819036
                        Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz II; 05-08-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

A great little A/B demo :

Here's a comparison between these two guitars, an American Stratocaster and a Squier JM Jazzmaster. Both with the same EQ using a Joyo American Sound pedal i...

Comment

For recent bands, check out the Fathoms and the Nebulas:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Would the Shadows be considered surf? They had the tone in the guitars, but much different European rhythms. They used the right guitars, though, and guitar was the lead instrument.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
                                MY fav Surf Rock band.
                                They are quit delightful.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104728[/ATTACH]
                                The guy on the left is definitely not wearing pants.
                                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X