Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Surf rock guitar: budget project

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    The guy on the left is definitely not wearing pants.
    neither is the one on the right
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
      That's tremendous. I like the Jazzmaster middle position and the Strat bridge.

But I think there's something missing, iiuc. The Jazzmaster middle combines both pickups. But the video shows the strat played with only one pickup at a time. Middle Jazzmaster ≠ middle Strat.

Btw, when I get my guitar, I plan to replace the bridge pup with an SSL-1 in a reverse slant ring. That frees up the coil tap switch, which I'll use to turn the neck pickup regardless of blade switch position. That gives the neck+bridge combination that few stock strats offer but should, imnsho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Would the Shadows be considered surf? They had the tone in the guitars, but much different European rhythms. They used the right guitars, though, and guitar was the lead instrument.
        Not in my view, because they were from a cold cloudy damp island so they can't be Surf. But the influence is there. And Hank Marvin is, imo, one of the greats.

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
          For recent bands, check out the Fathoms and the Nebulas:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Thanks for those. Can't find The Nebulas in my streaming service but this album on youtube is a good start.

I've been diggin' The Mernen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YQ8nPJz1pw Minor key easy listening with a surf aesthetic. They make it onto the list of bands I can put in dinner party palylists -- inoffensive instrumental music guests can mostly ignore while I enjoy.

Comment

Here's a smart pun on 90's Norwegian Black Metal:

Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post

https://youtu.be/2T9OPdcN5Ss
              Consider that like as a double!

Comment

For the best Surf Rock tone I'd go with a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar. The Dick Dale strat tone is not my thing.

Got a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster new for €200. Swapped the stock Duncan Designed for a Duncan Vintage Jazzmaster set.
                Surf tone for days, and cheap.
                ^^^ This. Strat is absolute generica---and how many surf guys actually played them? Mod the JM with 250K or 500K pots, shim the neck a bit, Boss reverb pedal (the brown one), and an amp with a lot of headroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Would the Shadows be considered surf? They had the tone in the guitars, but much different European rhythms. They used the right guitars, though, and guitar was the lead instrument.
                  Don't know if they are concidered "Surf", probably not, but as someone else already mentioned, they sure deserve some credit!
                  Don't forget The Spotnicks while we are at it! They were a little underrated, everyone always mentions The Shadows, they are of course a great band, but The Spotnicks did hold their own in this genre in my opinion.
                  "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

https://youtu.be/2T9OPdcN5Ss
                    As an Emperor fan, I can truly appreciate this!!
                    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

. . . H/S/S . . . to S/S/S conversion

Click image for larger version

Name:	conversion ring plate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	5819147
                      Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                        ^^^ This. Strat is absolute generica---and how many surf guys actually played them? Mod the JM with 250K or 500K pots, shim the neck a bit, Boss reverb pedal (the brown one), and an amp with a lot of headroom.
                        Well, that possibility now exists.

My Pacifica 612VIIFM arrived on Saturday with unfinished frets: leveled but not crowned or polished. The flat abrasive fret tops killed tone, sustain and made string bending a horrible abrasive experience I don't want to have ever again. So much for the 55-point inspection. The packaging also made it clear that the guitar hadn't been unwrapped since leaving the factory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02917.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	5819158

So my confidence in the instrument brand and the model and the retailer is shaken and I'm reconsidering my options.

Comment

probably looked at the outside of the box for 55 seconds
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                          X