Salt n Vinegar to Bring the Shine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt n Vinegar to Bring the Shine

I've had Wilkenson Compensated saddles on my Tele for about a decade now (where has the time gone?)
    In all these years I never thought to clean them. The other day I was playing my Tele and thought, "These look nasty!" (and not in a good way.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	5853912

A quick search on the internet led me to the salt and vinegar solution.
    I probably could have let them soak longer, but the result after ~ 10 minutes was good enough for me.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	5853913
    "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Re: Salt n Vinegar to Bring the Shine

wow big change. just soak em then wipe em to dry them off?

Comment

Basically. I soaked them, lightly scrubbed them with steel wool, rinsed with cold water and wiped dry.
      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Looks much better.

Horn makers handle the issue with a clear coat after polishing.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Be aware that soaking parts in vinegar is how many relic new parts - ie look like what yours did in the 'before' pic

Comment

I honestly never heard of that. I wonder if it takes any thin plating off, like if it will rust faster now. I guess I have some reading to do!
            They look great, though.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

BTW, toothpaste makes a great metal polish as well, and it's less toxic than most good polishes. If you were to take an old toothbrush and some toothpaste to those now, they'd shine even more.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-06-2020, 09:28 PM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I it used to use salt & vinegar to shine pennies when I was a kid. It quickly takes off oxidation. As long as you rinse in running water it shouldn't cause any corrosion problems.

The relic crowd let their stuff soak for hours or days. It only takes a couple minutes to get parts clean.

If you want shiny nothing beats Simichrome but once you go that shiny you may feel compelled to maintain it, which is why I prefer bright but not polished.

Comment

Working...
                X