banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar Fetish Clapton "Woman Tone" circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Fetish Clapton "Woman Tone" circuit?

Has anybody here tried this circuit:

I'm thinking about putting one on a guitar that I've put Mean 90s in as sort of a cheap punk rock beater.

I haven't seen any personal stories about it on the web, so there's not a lot of info out there. Is it noisy, is the frequency range usuable, are there any problems with it?

Re: Guitar Fetish Clapton "Woman Tone" circuit?

Or you could simply roll back your tone control and do it the way Eric did. I wouldn't bother putting in a mod.

Comment

Well if I did that I wouldn't get the sound I wanted.

Just for convenience so you don't have to click the link, heres what it does:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200506-222948_Chrome.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	5819025

It says woman tone, but I don’t think that's actually what they're going for.

Comment

I think you would be better off with an EQ. You won't have to mod your guitar and if you find a setting you like you can apply it to all of your guitars.

Comment

If you wanting the Woman Tone most often in the default tone knob full position -just change the capacitor value and maybe the taper if you fiddle a lot to see which interaction with your pickups gives you that rolled off sound.

otherwise just get good at quickly rolling your tone knob to the sweet spot in conjunction with the gain and volume and room size you are playing in on whatever occasion.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Maybe I should more clearly state the situation. I currently have a guitar drilled for two pots and a switch, somewhere along the line of previous owners the tone pot disappeared. I have no use for it but I want to fill the hole with something useful.

I play punk and I find the 3 options on this switch useful, a bassier to to fill in the low end for rhythm playing, a scooped setting for a skankier punk sound, and a midboost for solos.

I came hear to ask if this is a passable unit that will fill those needs. I am not after a woman tone, thats just the name of the product.

Comment

That isn’t Clapton’s “Woman Tone” circuit at all, and I don’t think it’s even the current Clapton boost/tone in his signature Strats, thought it looks like it might do some interesting useful stuff.

Comment

It seems like this is an on board boost and they are using the Clapton name to get attention since the clapton Strat has a built in boost. I like that it’s on a push/pull, the clapton is boosting even on 0. The description of bass/mid/scooped is interesting. The old TBX could do multiple functions due to the stacked pot, this is only one pot but it is active.

Do you have a place for the 9V? It’s a little tight stuffing it in the control cavity. I’d say go for it. If you are familiar with wiring, adding in a stereo jack for battery switching and want an experiment, why not? There is probably someone here that has used it, but who knows...
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

He just wants to know if the circuit works

probably does

get one and try it
                  its easily reversible

I haven't had one

but some of their other stuff works as advertised
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Tried it....didn’t like it...cheap trick and sounds it.

Comment

Ooooooh, Cheap Trick uses these?

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                      Tried it....didn’t like it...cheap trick and sounds it.
                      ---------------------------
                      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

The GFS circuits are rebranded Artec. I bought an Artec QTA booster and it's pretty subtle and not much of a boost at all. I had it installed in a guitar for a while but took it out and put it in a metal box to use as a pedal and it was more useful that way. http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/index.html
                        Last edited by idsnowdog; 05-07-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

A Strat won't get the woman tone no matter what you put into it. That tone was a stock Gibson into the right amp, and Clapton's fingers.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

First: HORRIBLE PRODUCT NAME!!!!! Did someone at Duncan come up with it?

Second: Cool tone knob

Three: Woman Tone = Turn tone knob down, turn JTM 45 up. Use SG.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Don't forget, Clapton has said he used the bridge pickup with the tone rolled off - not the neck pickup. Phil X uses it to great effect on several songs, but especially when he plays the solo to "American Woman".
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X