ANOTHER Bright Idea??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANOTHER Bright Idea??

Hey there again~ Take a look at the photo & let me know if this is doable, having a real guitar guy make room for a 22nd fret on this neck? I'm a stickler for having that extra 1/2 note, but the guitar is local, cheap, and a good platform for my pickguards I'm slapping together. To my naked eye, it looks like there's enough room, especially not needing to be ultra concerned about intonation,,,if you're up that high, not a whole lot matters... Thanks for the ops!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200507-124356_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	5853917
    Last edited by zozoe; 05-07-2020, 11:12 AM.

Re: ANOTHER Bright Idea??

Plenty of Strats and Teles get a 22nd fret by having the fretboard hang over that gap.

Not sure I agree with you about the unimportance of intonation up high; in fact, I'd argue the opposite, but good intonation at 21 will still sound fine at 22, so it's a non issue. You're not changing the scale length.
    Last edited by St_Genesius; 05-07-2020, 11:40 AM.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I did this once for a client back in the 80's. I milled off a flat spot above the 21st fret, and glued on a similar piece of rosewood, shaped to fit. Sawed the slot, hammered in the right size fret and made it wasn't higher than number 21. The guy was thrilled.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I think if you were thinking about it like just cutting a slot in the existing board....well I can't see that actually working and its a bad idea. The fret slot would be very close to the end of the board even in the longer curved middle section, so you'd have that high note you're after being unsupported fretwire most likely.
        However thats nothing to the fact that the slot would have so little wood expanse left on the pickup side that installing the fret would almost be 100% likely to chip the end of the fretboard right off.
        Last edited by AlexR; 05-07-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Yep, bad idea IMO.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

For just a little more, I bet you can find a 22 fret neck.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I did a bit of reading up on it a while back, for my 21 fret Bullet Strat. Plenty of links and stuff out there about it. Here's one. Still considering doing it to my Strat, since really like the neck.

This is a trick we used to do a-lot more back in the days before the 22 fret strat became more the norm. The hard part is matching the finis...
              http://www.lonephantom.com
              http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Just pick up your slide and play all the way to the pickup - like Jeff Beck do.

Comment

Fretboard has to be extended - not enough room for another fret. I can't help but think a replacement neck would be more cost effective.
                  Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I think Brad Gillis did that to a vintage strat. I can't find very good photos, but you can see that something is up with the top fret:

Whether it'll work on your guitar, whether there is enough fretboard left, that is another question, and one that is not easily answered.

I know a guy who did this to a strat with a Brazillian rosewood fretboard. You can read about the process here:

Again, unless you really want to keep your board, it probably isn't worth it. I can see it being done to a Brazillian rosewood fretboard. Regular maple? Not so much.

Comment

Not worth it.

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        For just a little more, I bet you can find a 22 fret neck.
                        +1

That's the thing with bolt on neck. Just pick what suits to you
                        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                          +1

That's the thing with bolt on neck. Just pick what suits to you
                          Yep. Doing a good job installing a fret up that high without enough space would likely cost more than a new neck, and with a new neck you can search for something that is built exactly the way your hands like. (And if you get jumbo SS frets the new neck will last for ages.)
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Just work on bending the 21st fret as high as you need to go.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Mighty mite makes a pretty good neck. they make them in 22 fret. even compound radius if you desire.

Comment

Working...
                              X