The best guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best guitar...

...is a cheap one where you aren't quite sure of the specs and can't find any information online. Optimally one labeled "Not in working condition"
    Here's why:

1 - The tonewood debate is negligible because you don't know what it's made of anyway.
    2 - You can do more invasive mods without feeling bad (also discourages theft).
    3 - If it speaks to you it does so because it's a good guitar, not because it has fancy appointments.
    4 - You'll make compromises in the name of saving money that you never would on a expensive guitar. Example, cycling back through every last set of stock pickups you've ripped out of other guitars so you don't have to use "the good ones".
    5 - If it sucks you aren't out nearly as much money.
    6 - A quality DIY respray can easily diminish the cheap feel of the guitar.
    7 - You can treat it poorly and it will add to the guitars mojo, not diminish it.
    8 - You can give them away to earn some "cool guy" points and not feel bad.
    9 - They oftentimes have body shapes that don't exist anywhere else.
    10 - To reiterate, you cannot possibly hurt their resale value by any considerable amount.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: The best guitar...

BEST is never a good word when you are talking about OPINIONS.
    BEST requires indisputable proof.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      BEST requires indisputable proof.
      Best what?

Best for what?

And what proof can't be disputed? Even in scientific research, everything is perpetually "up for debate", LOL!

Comment

The best guitar has six strings, plays in tune and I have access to it any time.

Comment

I share your opinion, Christopher!

I started out with oddball cheapos, then eventually migrated to Gibsons. Now I'm back to one home built, one partscaster, and my one remaining Gibson is a cheap oddball. ('70s Maurader). The ES-335 was lovely but I rarely miss it.

But I totally get the other side, fully appreciate spectacular guitars, and respect those who cherish them.

Comment

My best guitar cost as much as my car did and never requires mods or maintenance but I mean yeah enjoy yourself
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

If you polish a turd, it’s still a turd.

Comment

Check out at the 2:30 mark how thick that MIM Strat paint job is, and the veneer overtop a 5 piece body.

Comment

I think you find the best when you aren't concerned with what other people think the best actually is. The sad part is that we are very influenced by ads, forums, comparison videos, & full-time 'influencers'. Lots of great instruments are passed over because someone else had something bad to say about them.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Best for me is where all the spex have cosmically aligned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_220135.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	5819044
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I think you find the best when you aren't concerned with what other people think the best actually is. The sad part is that we are very influenced by ads, forums, comparison videos, & full-time 'influencers'. Lots of great instruments are passed over because someone else had something bad to say about them.
                      Reviewers and internet forum bs plays a large part definitely. A lot of people haven’t held nor played the guitars but just repeat what they heard to sound smart, or for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        Best for me is where all the spex have cosmically aligned.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104740[/ATTACH]
                        Are you going to put the JBJ in that?

Comment

Originally posted by kramer.geetar View Post
                          Reviewers and internet forum bs plays a large part definitely. A lot of people haven’t held nor played the guitars but just repeat what they heard to sound smart, or for whatever reason.
                          I can't tell you how much I hear forum bs (and reviewer bs) repeated back to me, word for word when discussing guitar stuff. It is like they spend more time watching videos than playing.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by kramer.geetar View Post
                            Are you going to put the JBJ in that?
                            That guitar has a double thick A3 JB/Seth hybrid. The JBJ went in another guitar. I made a thread about it. Thx again for selling it to me.

The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                              That guitar has a double thick A3 JB/Seth hybrid. The JBJ went in another guitar. I made a thread about it. Thx again for selling it to me.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ex-with-my-JBJ
                              Glad you’re happy with it. So you put in an A2 magnet? Interesting that should sound awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X