Dazzle Camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dazzle Camo

Hey fellas, I'm experimenting with dazzle camo on one of my guitars and I was wondering if any of y'all had ideas for how would be best to apply it. Currently the plan is to paint it white, tape over it, then paint it black, but one of the issues I have is about how to do the part circled in red:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PicsArt_05-08-01.29.23.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	5853927

How exactly would I do that? I was thinking of cutting the tape along a straight edge, but I don’t want to damage the paint underneath.

Also, any advice for enhancing the forced perspective effect of the dazzle camo?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Dazzle Camo

the new paint will fill in the tiny cuts if you go too deep
    sharp new blade leaves smallest cut
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

personally I would print a complete stencil of the pattern for each facet of the guitar so that the white area connect to the larger stencil just off the guitar -adhere with a low tack temp adhesive to paint it black
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I was considering a stencil, but I don’t know how I'd make the edges line up given that the guitar has some awkward contouring around the edges.

Tape should work, but I'll take some time and effort to get it right.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

This sounds like I'm teasing but I'm not: have you considered getting the body wrapped instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
            This sounds like I'm teasing but I'm not: have you considered getting the body wrapped instead?
            I think this idea is going to take off. You could do so much more with body wraps than you can do with paint.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I thought about a wrap just to save the time, but it ends up costing $120 bucks to do it all as opposed to $0 for the paint that I already have.

Comment

In that case, start masking!
                If low-buck is the goal, maybe consider black pinstripe tape over white paint? Just don't use electrical tape, it can get gummy after a while but the pinstripe tape you buy at an Autozone lasts for years no problem.

Comment

It's not that I'm being cheap, it's just I don't want to spend 5 times as much on an aesthetic if I can do as good, if not better, using stuff I already have on hand.

Comment

I didn't say cheap, I said "low-buck." I am always in favor of doing things DIY and/or low buck when possible!

Seriously, a roll of lack pinstripe tape placed over a white finish might be just the ticket. The decent quality stuff doesn't move or get gummy once it is on. Would 1/4" do it? That's pretty easy to find.

It will be difficult, though, to get all those lines parallel no matter how you do it. Random is a lot easier to pull off!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                      how durable are those? do they look pro? can you tell upon a close inspection?
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I forgot about this thread. A few days ago I finished the test run on a cheap plywood body I had laying around:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200518_005930.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	5819144

The "proof of concept" definitely shows that it works, but now is the question of what guitar to put it on. I've mostly been keeping my paint work to cheaper sub-$100 guitars, but I might try to do it next on a mid-tier guitar. I think a Firebird with dazzle camo and a trans pickguard would be cool.

Comment

Well, you did it right.
                          Next time maybe work in some iridescent.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone remember Gitards guitar covers from back in the 80's? They were guitar wraps made of spandex that attached via strips of Velcro. They were available to fit many shapes of guitars, and of course - in a variety of prints. The company was started by a dancer who made her own leotards, and her guitar playing boyfriend (as a joke) asked her to make some covers for his guitar so he could change them every set. Spandex was big in the 80's, so it was perfect for the MTV metal bands.

They were a big hit in the marketplace for awhile, advertising in Guitar Player mags, and even exhibiting at NAMM shows. I don't remember any famous player endorsements, but I sold a bunch of them out of my shop to local guys. I had a leopard print Les Paul, a blue and black zebra P-bass, and a gray and black snakeskin Strat in the shop for clients to check out. They were even available in single colors if you wanted. Most guys bought them for new stuff to protect the finishes....

You could weird a lot of people out from onstage by moving the cover around during a song - making it stretch and so on. They were fun. I have pictures somewhere in a box....
                            Last edited by ICTGoober; 05-18-2020, 04:55 AM.
                            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Well, you did it right.
                              Next time maybe work in some iridescent.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                              Yeah, I was considering that. Maybe also including some circles or fake painted on knob silhouettes.

Comment

Working...
                              X