Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with my in-betweens...

Hi!

I am a long time lurker (I have practically learnt everything I know about pickups and guitar wiring around here) but first time poster. I have found myself in a bit of a head-scratcher and I'd appreciate your insight.
    About a year and a half ago I built myself a partcaster, I used some sort of no name basswood body (weight was my main concern, long live the basswood!), a USA neck off of eBay, a custom pickguard as I really hate the volume control placement on a strat plus I have no need of dual tone pots and an HSS configuration with a Dimarzio FRED in the bridge and a couple of no name ceramic singles in the neck and middle positions, nothing special but 99% of the time I am in the bridge position anyway.
    Today I measured through the output jack the DC resistance of the pickups (it's not particularly accurate but I needed a ballpark, nothing crazy) and I noticed that positions 2 and 4 had a significantly lower DC resistance than any other position, something I can also hear through the amp (if we accept the oversimplification that DC resistance equals output), even though I have the middle pickup flush with the pickguard (don't shoot, I come from the land of Les Paul and acoustics, can't stop hitting it with the pick) it's still louder than the in between positions. My singles are in the 4.2-4.4Kohm range, the FRED is somewhere between 9.9 and 10.1Kohm, positions 2 and 4 yield about 2.2-2.6Kohm (the mid/brdg is a tad hotter than the mid/neck).
    While that is a very useful accident in the sense that the tone of the middle/bridge combination is pretty similar to a strat bridge pickup but slightly bassier I would like to know if this is normal or if I wired something wrong (which, let's be honest, is probably the case, it was my first guitar wiring from scratch).
    Thanks in advance for any insight!

Cheers,
    Achilleas

P.S.: I used a couple of single coils I already had for expediency's sake however I am looking for a proper pickup for the neck position. I love the tone of the quarter pounder and the Dimarzio SDS-1, single coil but thick and creamy, any experience on how they might sound with the FRED in terms of tone as well as output?
    Achilleas Moraitis, singer/songwriter
    based in Athens, Greece

Re: Need some help with my in-betweens...

when you have two pups on in typical strat wiring, the pups are in parallel. the readings you are getting are normal. a vintage strat with 6k pups would get readings of 3k in the notch positions.

qp or sds1 in the neck wouldnt be my choice, though i do like them in the bridge, the should work fine with the fred in the bridge

Comment

That makes sense, thanks for explaining!

Would you care to elaborate on your comment about a neck pickup? Is it that they aren't to your taste or is there some reason I might not be happy with the results? If it helps ideally I'm looking at something between a regular strat neck tone and a P90, essentially a ballsy strat pickup.
      based in Athens, Greece

Comment

Yes, a Quarter Pound in the neck would give you a pretty potent darker strat sound in the neck. For something with power, but brighter, look at the StraBro 90. The cool thing about the StraBro is that it is tapped, so with another switch (push/pull, etc) you can get a clearer tone.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Your position 2 sounds more like a typical position 1 because the humbucker is overpowering the single coil. With 2 pickups in parallel the pickup with the higher output will contribute more to the tone. If your FRED is 4-conductor you can split it in the 2nd position to get a more traditional strat tone.

Comment

If you care to do that thru your 5-way switch here's a diagram. Switch the red and black wires for the humbucker since the diagram is duncan and your bucker is dimarzio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200504-190702_Chrome.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	5819045

Comment

Wow thanks for your help guys!!! I guess I need to decide on a neck pickup now, I like both the QP for it's edginess (or stratiness, I guess) but that StraBro does a really sweet lead tone, real ballsy! Well... Options, options!

Cheers!

Edit to add a quick question: Since both of those pickups are about 40% hotter in terms of DC resistance than the FRED would I have to have them really low to get a balance or would the humbucker be balanced in terms of output without lowering the neck pickup too much?
              Last edited by achilles94; 05-09-2020, 03:43 PM.
              based in Athens, Greece

Comment

Working...
              X