banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering if it's possible to use a piezo + soundhole pickup at the same time...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just wondering if it's possible to use a piezo + soundhole pickup at the same time...

    Using the same preamp on my guitar?
    I have a Fender PM-4CE. Just wondering if that's possible. Should I install a passive soundhole pickup or not?
    Would it work? Just had that crazy idea!
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

  • #2
    Re: Just wondering if it's possible to use a piezo + soundhole pickup at the same tim

    I have seen preamps with more than one input
    Yours may not have one
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Just wondering if it's possible to use a piezo + soundhole pickup at the same tim

      there are ways to do it, depends on how much you wanna spend. duncan has a saddle pup with a preamp that allows a second pup to be used, not sure if the one in your guitar has that function but kinda doubt it so youd have to look into replacing the preamp at least

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Just wondering if it's possible to use a piezo + soundhole pickup at the same tim

        I have no idea how you would wire that into the current preamp. Also, many soundhole pickups are passive. You could do this outside of the guitar with a small mixer, though.
        Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Just wondering if it's possible to use a piezo + soundhole pickup at the same tim

          one could possibly just splice into the wire from the bridge pickup

          but you run the risk of damaging the current set up

          if it does work
          a three position on-on-on switch would let you choose either or both
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Just wondering if it's possible to use a piezo + soundhole pickup at the same tim

            Pendulum makes a preamp where you can mix multiple sources like piezo, magnetic, and microphone.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Just wondering if it's possible to use a piezo + soundhole pickup at the same tim

              Fishman makes the 301 that has a microphone and a bridge transducer

              GFS has one preamp that lets you plug in one 2.5mm jack and a second 3.5mm jack
              Then blend the two
              They then have an assortment of pickups with the different jacks for mix and match
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Just wondering if it's possible to use a piezo + soundhole pickup at the same tim

                Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                I have seen preamps with more than one input
                Yours may not have one
                Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                there are ways to do it, depends on how much you wanna spend. duncan has a saddle pup with a preamp that allows a second pup to be used, not sure if the one in your guitar has that function but kinda doubt it so youd have to look into replacing the preamp at least
                Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I have no idea how you would wire that into the current preamp. Also, many soundhole pickups are passive. You could do this outside of the guitar with a small mixer, though.
                Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                one could possibly just splice into the wire from the bridge pickup

                but you run the risk of damaging the current set up

                if it does work
                a three position on-on-on switch would let you choose either or both
                Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                Pendulum makes a preamp where you can mix multiple sources like piezo, magnetic, and microphone.
                Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                Fishman makes the 301 that has a microphone and a bridge transducer

                GFS has one preamp that lets you plug in one 2.5mm jack and a second 3.5mm jack
                Then blend the two
                They then have an assortment of pickups with the different jacks for mix and match

                Thanks everyone of you for the replies! I thought I was crazy about this. I imagine the easiest/best bet would be installing a soundhole pickup with a proper 1/4 inch connection for it too.
                My preamp was made by Fishman for the Fender Paramount Series. Looks similar to the one Taylor uses, but this one has a tuner! Just would like to improve my sound even more for both, live and recording situations. I thought about ehdwuld, but maybe he's right. I could damage my preamp that way. It even has/uses something that looks like a computer chip.
                Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
                Follow Me on Twitter!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Just wondering if it's possible to use a piezo + soundhole pickup at the same tim

                  Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                  Pendulum makes a preamp where you can mix multiple sources like piezo, magnetic, and microphone.
                  I dig that Boss GX-700 unit in the rack. I had the Roland version, the GP-100.
                  Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X