Is this normal for a Floyd Rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal for a Floyd Rose?

First time with a Floyd equipped guitar and I quite like it but I have a strange issue that could be normal. Probably doesn't matter but the guitar is a new Charvel San Dimas.

My issue is with tuning. I noticed that the guitar was swinging around in tune. In some trial and error I realized that it's generally when I change playing position. I may lean back in my chair and the guitar is more on it's back and it goes about a quarter step sharp. If I tilt the guitar in the other direction it goes about a quarter step flat but returning back to normal playing position it's back in tune. I'm guessing it's the weight of the floyd rose adding some tension (or not) based on playing position. Is there anyway to combat it? I'm planning to install one of those ESP Arming Adjusters to solve the bend issue and was thinking that with adding some more tension to the bridge it may help it not wobble around so much in tune when I move around.

Re: Is this normal for a Floyd Rose?

Yeah it's normal, a is generally less of a problem with heavier strings. An arming adjuster will mitigate the problem.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Too bad.

I got a stoptail Epiphone, and if I lean towards, or back - even do the "Bill Frisell" neck bend- it has a beautiful vibrato.

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Quarter step is a lot. Mine doesn't do that, but I've got 11s on it. What gauge strings are you using?
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          Quarter step is a lot. Mine doesn't do that, but I've got 11s on it. What gauge strings are you using?
          Currently using 9s. I usually play 11s but wanted to try something lighter with this guitar so I'm going back to 10s.

Comment

A quarter step? No that isn't normal at all. With that much happening, you should be able to see what is moving when you hold it in different positions in front of you. My guess is that would never make it past the prototype stage if that was a 'feature' of Floyds.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              A quarter step? No that isn't normal at all. With that much happening, you should be able to see what is moving when you hold it in different positions in front of you. My guess is that would never make it past the prototype stage if that was a 'feature' of Floyds.
              I'd believe it. 9s only exert 90 lbs of tension at the very most. I play 11s and flipping the guitar will knock the bridge out of tune a noticeable amount and that's with 120 lbs from the strings.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

It depends...I have a "custom" sustain block in one, its a huge slab o' brass. It really is sensitive to position due to its weight. Soft/few strings, light strings, heavy block - I'd say plausible. You sure about that quarter note? Or is it just audibly shifting pitch? The latter is perfectly normal, the former indeed sounds a bit much with factory setup and parts.

Comment

OK, so I got curious and ran a little test for ya with the guitar that has the heftiest block in it. Firt pic is playing position, secon is flat in my lap, strings facing the ceiling and the third is strings facing the floor:

Click image for larger version

Name:	playing position.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	5819067

Name:	srtings facing up.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	5819068

Name:	strings facing down.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5819069

All in all what you're experiencing is normal, but not sure about the extent. I have a heavy core 10-46 set, which means more tension, but I also have a huge brass block, the stuff pictured here are the two most extreme cases Again, are you sure about the quarter step? Isn't it rather a quarter of a HALF step?
                  Last edited by nexion218; 05-11-2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I think a bit of variation is to be expected, especially with .09s and a heavy block.
                    But if it's going halfway to F, there may indeed be something wrong.

I've used .010s on my old Floydcasters (a '79 and an '80) for forty years and never noticed any problems.
                    Then again, I rarely played while lying on my back. And when I did I wasn't paying much attention to the tuning.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                      Then again, I rarely played while lying on my back. And when I did I wasn't paying much attention to the tuning.
                      Jason, is that you?

Comment

Working...
                      X