banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strat 5-pos switch - bend towards body - did anybody do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat 5-pos switch - bend towards body - did anybody do it?

I keep hitting this switch, sometime to change position, from 5 to 4.
    Half strumming kind of playing.

Volume knob is already below pick guard.
    I just want extra space where switch is too.

Thought bending it sideway 90 degrees, downwards, or something?
    I have two pliers, and one can hold against I think, but sturdier than I thought.

Any mod you did?

Moving it is a bit more job, having metal plate below as well, not only pick guard.
    Thanks.

Re: Strat 5-pos switch - bend towards body - did anybody do it?

the arm is just thin sheet metal
    the exposed part should bend easily

worst that could happen is:
    1)you break it
    not likely, more common is to bind it up on the pickguard

2)you crack the pickguard
    possible, be careful
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I used to do that. Better technique with practice fixed that early on.

Still don't like the volume placement on strat though. Even if it isn't exactly on the way, it's hard to use where it is.

I prefer to replace it with slider switch for whatever quick function.
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Definitely better technique. I must be one of the few, but I don't think that I've ever hit a strat placed switch accidentally while playing.
        Though I do know people that have. Usually it comes from strumming an electric like an acoustic.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

+1 On technique.

Some people will just go to any length to avoid the work required to improve themselves.

Comment

Another vote for better technique, or a custom pickguard that has the switch somewhere else. I think it will still get in the way if bent over (if it is now).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For me "better technique" is like saying "get used to it" - maybe I will.
              It's nothing better/worse about it - arm goes where comfy for the tone I want right that instant.

If I want the sound where hand can rest on bridge more or less - picking at middle pup - volume is now out of the way, that is solved.
              If hand move to play further towards neck this "stick" is sometimes in the way of arm movement - mostly if neck pup selected.

Wording "better" is a bit weird to me as you guys put it.
              It's like saying - you should not play towards the neck.
              To me these controls are misplaced - Gibson got it right.

But if I turn the switch to be like original tele along the body - I think it will be ok.
              So I might go for Mincer suggestions to look for pick guards.

I wonder these days with 3D-printers and stuff - are there places you can order pick guards 3D-printed?
              Seems like perfect application for that. Plastic is rather common material.

Even make a design, and put holes differently - I saw the Hendrix Strat reversed the bridge pickup slant/tilt, which some prefer since high strings does not need that extra treble anyway.

But bought a couple of extra pick guards for a jazzmaster I had, just for the color of it. So will see how different models put controls for Strat.

If american Strat are the same - I believe this original 50's I have have fewer, 8, screws if that is different?

I have already carved out a bit in body to reach truss rod butt screw without removing neck, so will do that pick guard half moon as well to reach easily. So maybe I will trash this pick guard to get it how I want it.

Comment

Better for something quantitative like technique is a perfectly acceptable term, as it is fully objective and can be precisely specified.

In this case it means 'better able to play the guitar'. As all guitars are different, you can extend better technique to mean 'more able to play any and every style of guitar out there'. Its something everybody on every forum should really striving for. So I cannot see why anybody would simply dismiss such advice out of hand

There are almost endless people who have managed that with strats, irrespective of playing style (SRV being one of the more flailing styles around). So trying to claim that you cannot play where you want is not accurate either.

Comment

I feel compelled to jump to the OP's defense here. I have played a lot of very different guitars over the years and some of them caused me issues. I CAN play the s#!t out of a Strat if required to do so, but you'd have to point a gun at my head to make me do it. I hate the strings so close to the body, the volume knob so close to the bridge, the bridge so close to the ass of the guitar , and the switch is where my hand prefers to go. Easy for me to avoid, but I prefer not to have to.

I see a LOT of complaints about fat semis and hollowbodies being "too uncomfortable." They feel very natural to me, but I never reply with "you need to work on your technique!" Play hard rock on an arch top jazz box with the bridge an inch or two above the body? No problem for me. Does that mean I have "better" technique than someone who fumbles with it? Nope, just different style and preferences.

There is no "correct" when it comes to preferences.

Larioso: move or modify that switch anyway you want. If it works better for you then it's all good.
                  If you just want to bend the switch hold the shaft with pliers just below the tip and just bend the tip over with your thumb.
                  Last edited by Dave Locher; 05-12-2020, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                    Larioso: move or modify that switch anyway you want. If it works better for you then it's all good.
                    If you just want to bend the switch hold the shaft with pliers just below the tip and just bend the tip over with your thumb.
                    Just that I found material much more thick and sturdy than expected - bend with thumb, no way.
                    I have one plier and fits right under where knob goes, I if I hold that like crazy I could use a long shaft plier with momentum to tip(knob removed).
                    Since a steel plate below pick guard I think it will be ok without breaking pick guard.
                    Just that I hesitated and wanted to have some comments from others here first - getting some alternate ideas.

It's position 5 with neck that I hit frequently, and goes to 4 simetimes. Position 4 I may touch, but not move as I do that. Position 1-3, no problem.

So just bending down 90 degrees might be the thing that fix it.

Either way, thanks everybody for input. I'm a big boy and can take some abuse if needed.

Comment

Yeah... people (including me) should be careful about how they word themselves, and their opinions.

I'd suggest you'd get a custom pickguard, with the controls placed the way you prefer them.

best wishes.
                      -Erlend
                      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

warmoth will put that switch any where you want
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

^^ yes.

Always wanted a warmoth strat. But the epiphone line could deliver a "full hollow", not just a thinline/chambered guitar.

... but if i had the cash; and could build my dream strat- I'd call Warmoth.

Got a very nice, high quality pickguard from them , many years ago. And other parts. Top notch!!!
                          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I found that it's quite alright with the switcher knob off - it was the knob that created most of that I hit it, raised like a pole.
                            It lowered level over pick guard at least 5-6mm. Since tilted up towards strings for neck position, this pretty much gave free way now.

I just put some electrians tape on top now, but will cut knob in half later(keep original and buy a spare) - and it will be ok as it is.
                            Now I consider this guitar a player I'm all comfy with.

I looked at Fender and if to do anything, like bending more original pick guard is just $50 for white one. FYI if anybody gets ideas and things break etc. So not the end of the world.

Comment

I would think 3D printing would work. However, I haven't seen 3D printing do smooth finishes like you'd see on a pickguard. I'd think any good pickguard maker could put the switch anywhere you want it. Do a few mock-ups in Photoshop or something with the switch moved, and send it to a few companies and see what they say.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X