NGD DOA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD DOA

Backstory: About 3 weeks ago, I ordered a blemished (minor ding) open box Epiphone g400 worn cherry. After 3-4 days it still hadn't shipped. Long story short, they couldn't find it and offered me a new one once they had new stock.

The brand new SG shipped late last week and arrived today with a broken neck joint.I thought about getting a replacement, but the overspray on the back of the body is so bad that I could probably snap off paint nubs. This doesn't look like a "worn" finish it looks like "bad paint job".. so porous and thin

I had one of the made in Indonesia models, a 2004 build that was great and I should have never let go. And, I bought a pair of 59s and new electronics for this, so I need to find something else to load those all into. Maybe I caon find one of the old builds again. I think I've had enough bad luck with this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	epi neck1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	5853962

Click image for larger version

Name:	epi neck2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	5853963

Re: NGD DOA

Dang it

That six

It's like dropping your ice cream cone
    After watching them load it up with all the sprinkles
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Isn’t broken neck new < blemished new? Shouldn’t you just return it and get another replacement? Or get a refund?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Isn’t broken neck new < blemished new? Shouldn’t you just return it and get another replacement? Or get a refund?
        well yes, of course I am going to return it

Comment

No idea how this got closed...
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            No idea how this got closed...
            Thanks for reopening the thread..

So after sleeping on it, and looking over the guitar a little more thoroughly I think I am going for an exchange rather than return. Yeah the finish is what it is, but rest of it is solid -even has neck binding and a well laid out control cavity for upgrades. I got this with plans to set it up a little high and learn slide, so a little nastiness is ok, maybe even good.

I just wish I had my '04 back

Comment

If you want a decent guitar you gotta shell out real money like everybody else.

I gave up on $300-$400 guitars like 20 years ago but i had humble beginnings like alot of people.

Comment

That thing could be fixed perfectly with some wood glue and a C-clamp.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  That thing could be fixed perfectly with some wood glue and a C-clamp.
                  Yup, probably could. But not going to clean up the mess FedEx made of a brand new guitar

Comment

That early 60's style SG neck joint is notorious for breaks just like you have....so much so that within a couple of years of release (and this is pre the rock boom too, where guitar got really popular with the masses) the SG was redesigned.
                    Its a bit surprising that this design was revisited for this model.

And the worn finish is just that....porous and thin. No filler, no clear, no buffing.

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
                      Yup, probably could. But not going to clean up the mess FedEx made of a brand new guitar
                      Definitely not. Bought new - want new. Gonna get new dammit!

But if that wasn't the situation, say it was a fall off a stand or something, I'd be effing grateful for that specific damage. I'd fix that myself.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                        That early 60's style SG neck joint is notorious for breaks just like you have....so much so that within a couple of years of release (and this is pre the rock boom too, where guitar got really popular with the masses) the SG was redesigned.
                        Its a bit surprising that this design was revisited for this model.

And the worn finish is just that....porous and thin. No filler, no clear, no buffing.
                        Well at least by not having a thick poly layer, it could be a good candidate for a refinish project one day.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

I gave up on $300-$400 guitars like 20 years ago but i had humble beginnings like alot of people.
                          I mean, there are good guitars in that price range, but many come with frustrating points.

I’m done buying guitars for now but mine are all in the luxury range now. I think about $800 can get guitars with no functional compromises - just less polish and comfort.

Comment

I buy most of my stuff from pawn shops. Which, if you know what your looking at and how to barter leads to guitars in the $800- $900 range for less than two bills.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I think regardless of how little you pay for a guitar it will eventually cost you at least 6 or 7 bills.
                              I also think that most $2500 guitars are only worth $ 600 or $700

Comment

Working...
                              X