Knocking down the gloss on the back of a neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking down the gloss on the back of a neck

What’s the right way to do this? I have several guitars in mind, and if it goes well on the first one, I might just do it on all of them.

Here’s what I have:
    1. Mask off the headstock, body, and binding with painter’s tape.
    2. Use fancy abrasive papers from Stew Mac. (What grit(s)?)
    3. Use tack cloth to pick up the dust.
    4. Remove the tape.
    5. Plug in.
    6. Melt the strings.
    Nobody knows, dude. Nobody knows.

Re: Knocking down the gloss on the back of a neck

The back of my Strat neck was fine for me, but fretboard were horrible gloss that made fingers stick.
    Making a bend finger literally jumped, audibly even.

1000 grit sanding the fretboard down worked perfectly, no tendency finger stick, just slide nicely.
    20-30s each fret.

So guessing that grit would be perfect and no further action needed on back of neck. And it does not feel rough or anything.

Comment

scotchbrite and dry cloth
      may be alcohol to make the cloth tacky
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I’ve always heard Scotch Brite...
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah, I came in here to suggest Scotch Brite. I am sure others here have a good idea as to what grit to use. You don't need much.
          Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

And if the green isn't enough, go red.
            But go easy or you'll change the profile of the neck.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't bother masking stuff off. You're not trying to make it dull, you're trying to remove the gloss. I usually start with light gray Scotchbrite, and use light pressure. You'll feel the diff immediately with just a minute of buffing. If you want more, use the maroon, but continue to take t easy. Like I said, no need to scuff until finish comes off like snow.

And for goodness sake, DON'T USE STEELWOOL. It's of the devil.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Yeah, I came in here to suggest Scotch Brite. I am sure others here have a good idea as to what grit to use. You don't need much.
                Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                And if the green isn't enough, go red.
                But go easy or you'll change the profile of the neck.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                Don't bother masking stuff off. You're not trying to make it dull, you're trying to remove the gloss. I usually start with light gray Scotchbrite, and use light pressure. You'll feel the diff immediately with just a minute of buffing. If you want more, use the maroon, but continue to take t easy. Like I said, no need to scuff until finish comes off like snow.

One of these days I’ll grow the balls to do it on a nicer guitar....
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Steel Wool is fine if cover your pickups with blue tape and do it over a trash bin or box -It was the most effective option for decades -so respect the Devil!

but yeah modern alternatives are better overall.

I'll mention that Home Depot and Lowes both carry a generic or other brand version of Scotch Brite available from 0 to 0000 -that is just as good -so nobody get the idea that Scotch Brite itself is the best and only option.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Steel wool rusts at the drop of a hat, and static electricity makes it hide almost anywhere. The little pieces find hiding places in your shop, waiting to contaminate your electronics or finishes. Sometimes, the little crumbs will even hurt you - poking under your fingernails or even into your skin. Scotchbrite does NONE of these.

If you must use a metal wool - use brass wool. It doesn't rust at least.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Steel wool. Works great. Available cheap everywhere. Tried and true. I've had no problems with it, ever. It's a two minute process that will cost you about a quarter's worth of material (if that).
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Steel wool rusts at the drop of a hat, and static electricity makes it hide almost anywhere. The little pieces find hiding places in your shop, waiting to contaminate your electronics or finishes. Sometimes, the little crumbs will even hurt you - poking under your fingernails or even into your skin. Scotchbrite does NONE of these.

If you must use a metal wool - use brass wool. It doesn't rust at least.
                        ICTgoober, you need to be more careful man.

kidding, you're points are valid concerns, but honestly none of those have ever been a problem for me or probably anyone who knows these downsides and uses it effectively with this in mind..
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah but grit is grit. What's the point of using that nasty stuff if you can just use something which is 10x more ergonomic?
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            Yeah but grit is grit. What's the point of using that nasty stuff if you can just use something which is 10x more ergonomic?
                            Steel wool is 10x cheaper, and people -who are hobbyists or amateurs can take the extra time to prep and clean up any mess

-A professional like ICTGoober is going to use the timesaving, more effective, and less messy options because time is money and they have people waiting on their work -but a careful Amateur could arrive at a similar result with something that is slower, less effective or cheaper by having the advantage of perhaps unlimited time.

So a Luthier Pro is not going to pick steel wool, but it doesn't mean that a knowledgeable amateur can't do wonders with it.
                            Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-15-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Steel wool is horrible since it's magnetic on top of everything else, these little crums.
                              It will stick to pickups and usually my screwdrivers are bit magnetic too, to have to wipe clean.
                              And since strings are constantly being in a field of magnetism steel wool will stick to strings too.
                              Adjust pickup height and there it turns up and where not....

Comment

Working...
                              X