Got a new TV..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new TV..

Yellow Epiphone Les Paul Special w/ P90s.

I didn't think it would be coming until next month. Haven't had a chance to plug in and play yet. But it feels good in my hands and has a little chunkier neck than I am used to. Feels just substantial enough, probably right around 8lbs.

Tone report to come

Click image for larger version

Name:	Epi TVY.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	5853983

Re: Got a new TV..

Love the new (old) headstock. Nice one.

Comment

Alright, so I took sometime to set it up. No fret buzz, no sharp ends. Got the strings nice and low. Intonation is spot on with the wraparound. Sustain is great. P90s cover piano cleans up into sweet OD. This thing smokes. Maybe the best OOTB < $500 guitar I have played.

If I have to knock anything, the fretboard feels a little dry and scratchy, but probably will smooth out with some playing. And as is common on Epis, the finish feels a bit tacky, especially on the back of the neck.

Now I am hoping they do the exact same with HBs in Alpine white

Fun little guitar.

Name:	Epi TVY back.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	5819132

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Love the new (old) headstock. Nice one.

Name:	Epi TVY Headstock.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	5819133
      Last edited by AniML; 05-16-2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Virtuoso Cleaner for the neck. Two coats. Let it sit for twenty minutes each time, then buff.

Worked well to eliminate the sticky on my Gibson necks.

Nice score!

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Hey, you beat me to it, Thomann is yet to ship mine, ordered March 31st...

On the fretboard, could it be the string that make it feel scratchy? Laurel is supposed to be not as smooth as rosewood, but nothing that makes it unconfortable while playing.

How do the fret ends feel? And dead notes? Do the tuners hold up? I guess the stock pickups are alright, but I ordered a set of Duncan Vintage P90s for mine...

Congrats on the purchase! I can't tell you how much I envy you right now...
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
            Hey, you beat me to it, Thomann is yet to ship mine, ordered March 31st...

On the fretboard, could it be the string that make it feel scratchy? Laurel is supposed to be not as smooth as rosewood, but nothing that makes it unconfortable while playing.

How do the fret ends feel? And dead notes? Do the tuners hold up? I guess the stock pickups are alright, but I ordered a set of Duncan Vintage P90s for mine...

Congrats on the purchase! I can't tell you how much I envy you right now...
            Thanks! Mine being here is proof yours is coming.

The fretboard will be fine. Maybe could have used one more lighter grit during finishing, but it seems to be going away already from playing.

I walked up and down the fretboard.. zero dead frets, no sharp ends. Really nice work on a $400 instrument.

The tuners, I will reserve final judgement until I change strings. My fingers are black everytime I pick it up so I think the strings are old oxidized crap that have been sitting around. But the tuners are probably not the best. They are vintage style Wafflebacks (Epiphone Deluxe branded) with tiny knobs and tall gears.

I'm satisfied with the pickups for now, but yeah it's a guitar and they are removable so anything can happen

Comment

Congratulations with your new toy!
              If the tuners would get on your nerves you an always change them with some decent ones, it still won't break the bank!
              Main thing is you like this guitar a lot, with some minor changes you'll be able to get a quality instrument without spending a lot of money, and that's worth a whole lot if you ask me!

Have fun with it!
              "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Yep, this one is an amazing mod platform, that even stock seems tobe very enjoyable. Good to know there are no major issues upon unboxing,

Mine is getting some Gibson appointments (correct poker chip and switch tip), and even while I'm planning on swapping pickups, tuners and bridge, still will cost me less than a third of the Gibson original. I already own a 2011 LP Traditional, so this one is gonna be used on a vintage-vibed rock thing I'm putting together, and it doesn't justify the premium of the big G.

Again, congrats and enjoy the new axe!
                Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Hey that looks really really good!
                  Maaaannnn Epiphone are great these days

Comment

Awesome deal. But that headstock looks like a tuning nightmare (and is too big, IMO).

Comment

Working...
                    X