X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should, or shouldn't I put a scalloped neck on a strat

?

Re: Why should, or shouldn't I put a scalloped neck on a strat

Well, isn't that really a question only you can answer? If you want to use the technique that that sort of neck benefits, then of course. But then, if not, then why bother?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I once heard Steve Vai say in a video that it is very good for harmonic minor scales. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        Well, isn't that really a question only you can answer? If you want to use the technique that that sort of neck benefits, then of course. But then, if not, then why bother?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
        I'm looking for pros & cons. I've never played one

Comment

Well, I like them, as I have one on my favorite Music Man. I'd suggest to try one first, somehow. Bends and vibrato are way easier, and you wind up developing a much lighter left hand. For some, that is hard to overcome.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Well, I like them, as I have one on my favorite Music Man. I'd suggest to try one first, somehow. Bends and vibrato are way easier, and you wind up developing a much lighter left hand. For some, that is hard to overcome.
            Hmmm. Wow... This right here is why I think I'd like it. My fret hand is almost too light sometimes but when I bend and tremolo, I press down too hard and dig the fretboard.
            Last edited by solspirit; 05-18-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
              Hmmm. Wow... This right here is why I think I'd like it. My fret hand is almost too light sometimes and when I bend and tremolo, I press down too hard and dig the fretboard.
              A scalloped neck will stop that, or it will sound like you are playing everything out of tune. It also will hurt.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, if you are heavy-handed you will bend everything sharp.
                “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

i always wanted a scalloped fretboard until i actually tried one...it did not mesh with my style at all! i will say the deep scalloped yngwie fretboard and I do not get along, although the shallower ritchie blackmore neck was a little more fun to play on. it's just a different feel that you gotta try to see if it's for you.
                  Quality riffs in about a minute...
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I played an Yngwei strat some years ago - I pulled everything sharp and I could feel the strings under my fingertips like never before. That's when I learned how heavy-handed I play. I'm not sure that's something I would have appreciated without playing one first, but it didn't take me long to realize that scalloped boards were not for me.
                    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I have played one a couple of times. First, I have some serious heavy hands when playing. That said -it is like anything else. Do it a little and you will adapt, unless you choke at the first 5 minutes.

remember - once upon a time you didn't play at all. You adapted.
                      Then you learned bar chords. You adapted
                      The you switched from Gibson to fender scale, or vice versa.
                      Then you learned 3 note per scale modes.
                      Then Whammy bar

Stop acting like it is the Apocalypse Fretboard of ruination.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        I have played one a couple of times. First, I have some serious heavy hands when playing. That said -it is like anything else. Do it a little and you will adapt, unless you choke at the first 5 minutes.

remember - once upon a time you didn't play at all. You adapted.
                        Then you learned bar chords. You adapted
                        The you switched from Gibson to fender scale, or vice versa.
                        Then you learned 3 note per scale modes.
                        Then Whammy bar

Stop acting like it is the Apocalypse Fretboard of ruination.
                        I'll have to adopt this as some kind of motto. I have barely mastered regular frets let alone scalloped. They just look weird and scary to me! One day though...
                        - cyberkitten

My music

Comment

Originally posted by cyberkitten View Post
                          I'll have to adopt this as some kind of motto. I have barely mastered regular frets let alone scalloped. They just look weird and scary to me! One day though...
                          Once upon a time I couldn't play finger style. So I got a classical guitar. A year later...guess what I could do? Play about 20 simple classical pieces...

Comment

Originally posted by dotsdad View Post
                            Yeah, if you are heavy-handed you will bend everything sharp.
                            Again - in the first 5 minutes...sure. Try it for a few HOURS. I bet you are doing fine. Or at least a lot better.

Comment

I'd say its one of those 'why not' scenarios.

If you're actually trying to be a more complete guitarist (which everybody should be doing), then using/adapting to new things should be the #1 thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X