Why should, or shouldn't I put a scalloped neck on a strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why should, or shouldn't I put a scalloped neck on a strat

I think anyone can learn to use one well. Your ear will tell you if you are out of tune, and the pain will let you know if you are pressing too hard.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've played a few scalloped necks, and they're not for me.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Why should I? Because you want to try it.

Why shouldn’t I? Because then it’s not a traditional strat and/or you might get mistaken for Yngwie

Comment

I'm going to do it .

.. I found a super cheap neck with good reviews from the Wang corporation.

Comment

I really like jumbo frets, and have always been intrigued by scalloped necks. The few that I've tried have felt very different though, it's a little offputting never feeling anything under your fingers. Sure you would get used to it though.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

BTW, I got into playing a scalloped neck from John McLaughlin, not Yngwie.

Comment

I tried a scalloped neck before. It was on a Yngwie Strat. I had to really lighten my touch to the point where I couldn't play comfortably. I'm a hard player and like to dig in. After I played that Strat I picked up a SRV model and felt right at home. Same with the Jeff Beck. Those two Strats I would love to have. One is vintage specs and one is modern. IMO, the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  BTW, I got into playing a scalloped neck from John McLaughlin, not Yngwie.
                  Hmm... can’t picture our buddy Sol getting mistaken for John McLaughlin, tho.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    Hmm... can’t picture our buddy Sol getting mistaken for John McLaughlin, tho.
                    .... Or Yngwie

Comment

Go for it. I have one, and I love it. It kind of feels like jumbo frets, just more of it. Bending and vibrato becomes a lot easier to control, and I would go so far as to suggest that a scalloped neck might help you work on these.

Comment

Blackmore signature Strat with scalloped neck

Comment

Remember, the Blackmore scallops are different than the full Yngwie ones...sort of a Nike swoosh than a half-pipe. The effect is basically the same. John McLaughlin used very deep scallops on his electrics and his Shakti acoustic guitar to simulate the Indian veena.

Comment

Jumbo frets are a gateway to scallops.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              Jumbo frets are a gateway to scallops.
                              It seems so on the surface, but most people who try my guitar (it has pretty deep ones) that are used to jumbo frets are freaked out at first, but then fall in love with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X